Red Velvet M&M Cake Mix Cookies are made with only 4 ingredients, one bowl, and take less than 30 minutes. These red velvet cookies are an easy dessert, perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and these Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies are a perfect (& easy) way to celebrate. Or, just make them because it’s Sunday and you deserve a cookie 🙂
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
These red velvet cookies start with a cake mix then you just add three more ingredients, all in the same bowl, mix them up, bake ’em, and you’ve got a festive cookie.
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookie Ingredients
Below is a list of ingredients and some helpful tips. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Red Velvet Cake Mix – I usually opt for Duncan Hines cake mixes.
- Eggs – I always use large eggs.
- Vegetable Oil – You could also use canola, if that’s what you have on hand.
- M&Ms – I’m pretty sure there are red velvet flavor M&Ms now – those might be good – but I used the traditional M&Ms in these cookies (Valentine edition, but regular flavor)
I used to be somewhat anti cake mix but since I’ve busier than I thought possible lately, now I appreciate a shortcut when I can get one.
If you need more red velvet options, try my red velvet cheesecake swirl brownies or my red velvet cake mix cookie bars.
How do I turn cake mix into cookies?
STEP ONE: First, add the cake mix to a large bowl, then add in the eggs and oil and stir with a spatula until fully combined.
STEP TWO: Next, pour in the M&Ms and stir until they’re pretty evenly distributed.
STEP THREE: Then, use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough into 24 cookies, 12 per baking sheet.
STEP FOUR: Finally, bake for about 10 minutes at 375 degrees. They’ll look puffy when you take them out but let them sit on the hot pan for another 5 minutes to finish up. Then, transfer to a rack to cool.
Because they’re cake mix based, the cookies come out soft and chewy.
Is red velvet chocolate or vanilla?
We’re using a cake mix here but traditionally, red velvet cake contains buttermilk and a small amount of cocoa powder with red food coloring. This combination makes a distinct flavor that’s not quite chocolate, and not quite vanilla.
Tools found on Amazon to help you:
- Mixing Bowl – You’ll need a large mixing bowl for these cookies. I really like my OXO bowls that have the grippy bottom so they don’t slide around.
- Spatula – I have a slight spatula obsession. I have far too many. My favorite are the one piece, silicone, heat safe ones that are easy to clean.
- Cookie Scoop – I have small, medium, and large cookie scoops. They make life easier. I used the medium here.
- Baking Sheets – If you use two baking sheets, you can bake both batches of cookies at once and be done *really* fast.
Need more cake mix cookies in your life? Try these:
- Fudge Marble Cookies
- Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
- Cream Cheese Sprinkle Cookies
- Perfect Party Cookies
Click here to view my entire collection of cookie recipes.
WATCH HOW EASY THESE RED VELVET CAKE COOKIES ARE TO MAKE
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
I made a fun group on Facebook for sharing recipes, asking questions, and talking about food. I’d love to have you! Request to join HERE.
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION & EBOOK
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me @melissa_pplates and/or #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
Originally published February 9, 2015
Prudy | butter, basil, and breadcrumbs says
Melissa…thank you so much for taking the time to bake cookies for me! I am so thrilled to have you guest post on BB&B today… it means so much to me to have you there! And the cookies? Holy smokes man…. I’m heading out in a few to pick up the ingredients to make these babies tonight! Thank you again… it is truly an honor… <3
Melissa Williams says
Thank you again for having me! I hope you like them!
Anna Giancana says
Oh my goodness these Red Velvet M&M Cookies are BEAUTIFUL!!!
Melissa Williams says
Thanks =) They taste good, too 😉