Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies are light and pillowy and melt in your mouth! At only six ingredients, they just might be your new favorite cookie!
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
It’s no secret that I’m a cookie lover. Given the choice, I would bake daily and never have to make dinner again. These ooey gooey butter cookies are dangerously easy and pair perfectly with a glass of milk.
For some reason, I associate these chocolate gooey butter cookies with Christmas. Maybe because I’ve made them for cookie exchanges, but they really are perfect any time of year.
Normally, cake mix cookies aren’t my favorite and I prefer to bake from scratch, but these are amazing. Only six ingredients so they’re easy to prep and Julia was able to help.
The end result is a soft, gooey, airy cookie that I couldn’t stop inhaling.
Tools you’ll need
- Mixing Bowls – I like the grippy bottoms of these bowls.
- Stand Mixer – This dough gets thick so either use a stand mixer or a strong hand mixer.
- Cookie Scoop – I have them in all sizes & love them.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe, why you need them, and possible substitutions. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with measurements.
- Cream Cheese – You’ll need one brick (8 oz) of cream cheese, at room temperature.
- Butter – One stick of butter, also at room temperature. They are ooey gooey butter cookies, after all.
- Egg – One large egg.
- Vanilla Extract – Try to use a high quality vanilla extract instead of imitation.
- Chocolate Cake Mix – One box of chocolate cake mix. I like Dark Chocolate Fudge but you can swap out your favorite flavor.
- Powdered Sugar – Or confectioners’ sugar is needed for rolling and dusting the cookies.
How to make Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
This section shows you how to make this recipe, with process photos showing the steps to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- First, in the bowl of your stand mixer, or a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and butter and cream until smooth. Then, beat in the egg. Then, beat in the vanilla.
- Next, add in the cake mix and beat until fully combined. It will be thick.
- Then, you’ll cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for around 2 hours to firm up.
- Once your dough is chilled, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set them aside.
- Pour about a half a cup of powdered sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Use a large cookie scoop to portion out the dough into balls, then roll in your hands so they’re smooth. Next, roll the balls in the powdered sugar until lightly coated and place on your prepared cookie sheets, 12 to sheet, leaving about 2″ in between each.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes – the cookies should still look soft & gooey when you take them out.
- Let them cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Dust with more powdered sugar, if desired.
Need more cake mix cookies? Try these:
More cookies to dunk in your milk:
Click here for my entire collection of cookie recipes.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Originally published June 9, 2016