Christmas Brownies are a festive and delicious way to celebrate the season. A from-scratch brownie layer topped with a red & green swirled cream cheese layer come together to make a rich brownie that will make kids and adults happy.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
A couple years ago I made a Halloween Cream Cheese Swirl Brownie and they’ve been wildly popular. The bright colors combined with the tempting flavors make them hard to resist.
I wanted to replicate that magic with a brownie that’s perfect for the Christmas season. So here we are.
I think these brownies taste best straight from the fridge. They’re rich and creamy with the cream cheese layer.
CHRISTMAS BROWNIES INGREDIENTS
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Vegetable Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Cream Cheese
- Food Coloring
HOW TO MAKE CHRISTMAS BROWNIES
To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. Spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
First, we’ll make the brownie layer. To a medium mixing bowl, add the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Mix with a fork or a whisk.
Then, to a liquid measuring cup (or another bowl if you want to dirty another one), add the oil then crack in the eggs, and add the vanilla. Again, mix together with a fork or whisk until fully combined.
Next, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until just combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
Now, we’ll make the cream cheese layer.
First, add the room temperature cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla to a mixing bowl and blend with a hand mixer until smooth.
Then, scoop out 1/2 cup of batter and add to a small bowl. Repeat with another bowl and 1/2 cup of batter.
To one of the small bowls, add red food coloring. To the other small bowl, add green food coloring.
You should now have a portion of red batter, green batter, and the leftover white batter.
Gently spoon all 3, in stripes, on top of the prepared brownie batter layer. Once added, gently swirl with a skewer. Don’t over-swirl or the colors will muddy!
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until set.
Finally, remove from the oven, let cool, then slice with a sharp knife, wiping away any excess on the knife between cuts so your edges are smooth.
HOW SHOULD I STORE THESE BROWNIES
Because of the cream cheese layer, these brownies should be stored, covered, in the fridge.
HOW LONG ARE THESE BROWNIES GOOD FOR
These brownies should keep 3-5 days if kept stored covered in the refrigerator.
HOW MUCH FOOD COLORING SHOULD I USE
If you’re using the Wilton Color Right System that I use, for the red I used 5 drops of red and for the green I used 5 drops of yellow and 2 drops of blue.
Otherwise, you’ll have to eyeball it to whichever type of food coloring you’re using.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE CHRISTMAS BROWNIES
- Food Coloring Kit – This is the color kit I used for these brownies and for my Halloween brownies (& everything else I make). It’s my favorite.
- Mixing Bowls – With the non-slip bottom, my favorite!
- Hand Mixer – As much as I love my stand mixer, I use my hand mixer way more.
- 8×8 Baking Dish – I love that this one comes with a lid for easy storing.
NEED MORE CHRISTMAS BAKING IDEAS? TRY THESE:
- Reindeer Cookies
- Christmas Oreo Bon Bons
- Soft & Chewy Ginger Snaps
- Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies
- Elf Snowball Cupcakes
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
For the Brownie Layer:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
For the Brownie Layer
- In a medium bowl, add the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- In a liquid measuring cup (or small bowl), add oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix with a fork until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
For the Cream Cheese Layer
- In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar, egg, & vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- To two small bowls, add 1/2 cup each of the cream cheese mixture.
- To one bowl, add red food coloring. To the other bowl, add green coloring.
- Spoon the white, red, and green cream batters on top of the brownie batter.
- Gently swirl with a skewer.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until set. Remove and let cool completely before slicing.