These semi-homemade Peanut Butter Cookie Cups filled with creamy chocolate ganache and topped with sprinkles are a definite crowd pleaser and are perfect as a last minute holiday dessert addition. Take a shortcut with a cookie mix and then make an easy chocolate ganache from scratch.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE CUPS
Last week I wanted to make something to send with my husband for his employees. They’ve been getting a lot of treats lately – like double chocolate chewy bars, brown butter caramel chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate crinkle cookies.
I’m happy to have people to share them with and I think they’re happy to try them out, but I didn’t want to spend the whole evening in the kitchen – that’s when I decided to make these easy Peanut Butter Cookie Cups and fill them with homemade dark chocolate ganache.
Everyone knows the classic peanut butter blossom recipe (peanut butter cookie with a kiss pressed into the top) or a peanut butter cookie with a peanut butter cup (as shown right on the bag – my husband’s favorite), but I wanted to take it up a notch, while still being easy.
I knew semi-homemade was the way I wanted to go so I used the Peanut Butter Cookie mix and made a really simple, creamy chocolate filling from scratch.
If you’re really short on time, you could also use “break & bake” peanut butter cookie dough and pipe in store bought frosting. I think the homemade chocolate ganache is worth the effort, but I know all about time constraints, too.
WHAT IS CHOCOLATE GANACHE?
Ganache is a mixture of chocolate and cream that is used to make chocolate candies or truffles or used as a filling in cakes or pastries….or peanut butter cookie cups. It’s a fancy sounding French word for a really simple and delicious chocolate filling.
PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE CUPS & CHOCOLATE GANACHE INGREDIENTS:
- Peanut Butter Cookie Mix – As I mentioned, I like Betty Crocker. Make sure you get the “family size”.
- Heavy Cream
- Vanilla Extract – I know vanilla is a bit pricey, but please don’t use imitation. I buy it in bulk from Sam’s or Costco. Or you can make your own homemade vanilla extract.
- Chocolate Chips – Use a good quality chocolate chip. I always use Ghirardelli.
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE CUPS WITH CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
Then, in a large bowl, prepare the peanut butter cookie dough according to the package instructions. [Alternatively, you could also use pre-made peanut butter cookie dough to make this even easier.]
Next, use a small cookie to fill each well of the mini muffin pan.
Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
While the cookie cups are baking, make the creamy chocolate ganache by adding the heavy cream and butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat and heating until hot, but not boiling.
Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir until smooth and creamy.
Once the cookie cups are done, remove them from the oven and immediately press the center of each cookie with the back of a spoon (the back of my Tablespoon measuring spoon works nicely) to make a well for the chocolate filling.
Let the cookies and chocolate ganache slightly cool, then pour the chocolate filling into a piping bag (or a zip top bag) – you don’t need a tip, but fit it with your favorite tip to make them fancier.
Pipe the chocolate ganache into the center of each cookie cup and then immediately top with sprinkles before the chocolate sets.
A chewy peanut butter cookie cup filled with creamy chocolate is pretty perfect in my book. Plus, sprinkles.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP MAKE THESE COOKIES:
- Mini Muffin Pan – get a pan with 24 wells and you can make the whole batch in one shot!
- Small Cookie Scoop – this scoop will make portioning out the dough really easy.
- Silicone Spatula – these are heat safe and non-stick for easy cleanup.
- Piping Bags – for filling the cookie cups with the ganache. You can also use a zip top bag if that’s all you have on hand.
- Sprinkles – This holiday mix is really cute.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Peanut Butter Cookie Cups with Chocolate Ganache
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare the peanut butter cookie dough according to the package instructions.
- Use a cookie scoop to fill each well of the mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
- While the cookie cups are baking, make the creamy chocolate ganache.
- Over medium heat, add the heavy cream and butter to a medium saucepan and heat until hot, but not boiling.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir until creamy and smooth.
- Once the cookie cups are done, remove them from the oven and immediately press the center of each cookie with the back of a spoon (I use my Tablespoon measuring spoon) to make a well for the chocolate filing.
- Pour the slightly cooled chocolate filling into a piping bag and once the cookies are cooled, pipe the chocolate into the center of each cookie cup.
- Immediately top with sprinkles.
Originally published December 22, 2015
I picked up the Betty Crocker® mixes from Walmart. The value size are perfect for feeding a crowd while not spending a ton.
Do you have any last minute baking plans? Are you winding down or just ramping up?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Betty Crocker. The opinions and text are all mine.