Chocolate Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies take everything you love about a peanut butter ball (a “Buckeye”) and combine it with a soft and chewy chocolate cookie.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies come from my blog friend Miranda’s new cookbook, Easy Homemade Cookie Cookbook, and combine my favorite things – chocolate and peanut butter.
This is how our current evenings go – I get off work, pick up the girls, come home, immediately take Rosie up for a bath, give her a bottle, put her to bed, then move onto dinner for the rest of us (then on to bath and bedtime ritual for Julia).
Most nights go pretty smoothly.
I usually set Julia up with her tablet or a toy for the 15 minutes I’m getting Rosie situated.
However, the other night, I was rocking Rosie when Julia ran in crying. She had put her dirty socks into her hamper, which is in her closet, and pinched her little hand in the door when she was closing it.
It was pandemonium for about 15 minutes.
Everything eventually settled down, Bob got home, and peace was restored.
After both girls were sleeping, I decided to bake.
Miranda of Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt sent over her brand new cookbook and these Chocolate Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies immediately caught my attention.
Buckeyes are a pretty popular recipe on my site and adding them to chocolate cookies make them even better. Plus, this cookie is entirely from scratch but really easy.
Miranda’s new cookbook, The Easy Homemade Cookie Cookbook, has so many recipes I’m excited to try. Julia LOVES neapolitan ice cream so those neapolitan Cookies on the cover are going to get made soon.
Things you may need to make these Chocolate Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies…
- A medium cookie scoop. I can’t remember life without a cookie scoop. I love mine.
- Good chocolate for the drizzle. I always buy the large bag of these.
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mats. They make life easier.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies
Chocolate Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies take everything you love about a peanut butter ball (a "Buckeye") and combine it with a soft and chewy chocolate cookie.
For the Peanut Butter Filling
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, at room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz baking chocolate melted
To Make the Peanut Butter Filling:
- In a small bowl, add the peanut butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
To Make the Chocolate Cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar and cream together with a hand mixer until creamy.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add in the dry ingredients, in two parts, and mix on low until the dough comes together.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out the dough into balls then slightly flatten them in the palms of your hands, then place them on the prepared cookie sheets, about 2" apart.
- Use the back of a teaspoon to press a well into each cookie.
- Scoop out approximately 1 teaspoon of peanut butter mixture, roll it into a ball and place it into the indentation you created in the dough. Repeat until complete.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the edges are just firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, let cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes, before removing to cool completely.
- Once cool, melt your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl then pour it into a plastic baggie. Snip the very tip of the baggie and drizzle the melted chocolate over the cooled cookies.
I thinned my chocolate with a very small amount (probably 1/4 teaspoon) of coconut oil to make it smooth.
Recipe from The Easy Homemade Cookie Cookbook
Other Chocolate + Peanut Butter Recipes…