Can’t decide if you want chocolate or vanilla cupcakes? Meet in the middle with these easy Marble Cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting. You get the best of both worlds!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
I think we can all agree that cupcakes are just awesome. They’re so easily portable and just the right portion size.
Had a hard day at work? Have a cupcake. Dinner’s over and you need a little something sweet? Grab a cupcake. Want to brighten your kids day after school? Cupcakes to the rescue time and time again.
These hand-held desserts are really quite perfect for any occasion as well. If you’re looking for a simple cupcake recipe that is certain to be a treat, you’re going to love the ease and taste of these Marble Cupcakes.
For the cupcakes
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Green Yogurt
- Vanilla Extract
- Cocoa Powder
For the chocolate buttercream
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Heavy Cream
- Vanilla Extract
HOW DO YOU MAKE TWO COLOR CUPCAKES?
Making these marble cupcakes is really easy. You’ll make the chocolate and vanilla batters then use a cookie scoop (or Tablespoon) to layer vanilla and chocolate batter into each cupcake liner. Then, you can choose to either swirl the layers gently with a toothpick, or just leave the layer stacks.
Either way, these from-scratch cupcakes are easy to make and the end result? Stunning and delicious!
Impress yourself and all your family and friends by whipping up a batch of these yummy homemade cupcakes today!
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU:
NEED MORE CUPCAKES IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Marble Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
For the Cupcakes
For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To make the cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together and set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Add in the sugar and whisk until combined. Chill in the fridge for about a minute.
- Add in the egg, yogurt, 3/4 cup milk, and vanilla and stir (I used a whisk) until combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. The batter will be thick.
- Make your chocolate batter by removing 3/4 cup of the vanilla batter and putting it into a small bowl. Add in the cocoa powder and tablespoon of milk and whisk until combined.
- I used a cookie scoop (or you can use a tablespoon) to add in 1 Tablespoon of vanilla batter into each cupcake liner.
- Top each with a spoonful of chocolate batter.
- Then top with another layer of vanilla batter.
- You can either gently swirl the layers together with a toothpick or just leave the flavor layers. I did a few of each.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before you frost them.
To make the Chocolate Buttercream
- Add the softened butter to the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large bowl & use your hand mixer) and cream for about 2 minutes on medium speed until creamy.
- Meanwhile, add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder to a medium bowl and whisk together so it's fully combined.
- Turn the mixer down and slowly add in the powdered sugar mix, heavy cream, and vanilla (I did it in thirds). Beat on low speed after each addition.
- Once all the ingredients are incorporated, beat on medium until creamy, about two minutes. Add in a pinch of salt, if needed, but I think using one stick of salted butter helps to balance the sweetness.
- Frost your cooled cupcakes & enjoy!
Cupcake recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Originally published March 11, 2014