These Oatmeal Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect dessert for any and all occasions. Eat them warm from the oven or grab one as you’re walking out the door. You can’t go wrong with having a delicious homemade cookie in your hand!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
OATMEAL MOLASSES CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
To say that I love cookies is an understatement. I rarely meet a cookie that I don’t like.
What I love about these homemade cookies is how chewy and tasty they are. Since they’re made using molasses, it just takes them up a whole other level. Chewy oatmeal, melty chocolate – they are the perfect combo.
Also, I like to think that since they are full of oatmeal, it bumps up the health factor a bit (this is definitely not true, but it’s what I tell myself).
OATMEAL MOLASSES CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES INGREDIENTS
- Butter – room temperature is key
- Baking soda
- Quick Oats – If you use old fashioned oats, you’ll get a less chewy texture.
- Chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli baking chips)
HOW TO MAKE OATMEAL MOLASSES CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
Next, in the bowl of your stand mixer, or in a large mixing bowl, add the butter, sugar, eggs, and molasses (which should all be at room temp). Mix until smooth using the paddle attachment or a hand mixer.
Then, in another large bowl, add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and whisk together.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips. Use a cookie scoop to drop dough onto your prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2″ in between.
Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown with the centers almost done. You want them to be chewy, not crispy.
Let cool on the pan for about 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
WHY USE MOLASSES IN BAKING
Molasses adds lots of rich brown sugar flavor, without making things overly sweet. It also attracts moisture so it helps baked goods to stay moist and chewy.
HOW LONG TO BAKE THESE COOKIES IN THE OVEN
Once you have your oven preheated to 400 degrees, you’ll want to bake them for 8-10 minutes. Don’t overbake them as you don’t want them to lose their chewiness! This is what makes them so good!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH OATMEAL MOLASSES CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
What’s better than a giant glass of milk? Or, if you want to elevate how awesome these cookies are, you can even spread some whipped cream or frosting between two cookies and make your very own cookie sandwich. Both options sound yummy if you’re asking me.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE THESE OATMEAL MOLASSES CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Stand Mixer – Don’t try to mix this cookie dough by hand. This stand mixer has the power to do it easily for you or a hand mixer will work just as well.
- Mixing Bowls – Do I talk about how much I appreciate the non-slip bottoms in every post? Yes, I do.
- Whisk -I used to sift my dry ingredients but now I just whisk them and feel like the results are the same.
- Cookie Scoop – Using this cookie scoop will help make all the cookies the same size which is great for getting an even baked cookie.
- Baking Sheets – These baking sheets have a textured bottom that helps with airflow & even baking. Plus, they’re pretty.
NEED MORE WAYS TO USE MOLASSES? TRY THESE:
- Soft & Chewy Ginger Snaps
- Honey BBQ Sauce
- Gingerbread Men Cookies
- Gingerdoodle Cookies
- Jalapeno Bacon Baked Beans
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
OATMEAL MOLASSES CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RECIPE
Originally published December 11, 2013