Pistachio Cake starts with a cake mix so it’s super easy and always a crowd pleaser. I’ve never made this cake without being asked for the recipe! Topped with pecans and filled with delicious pistachio pudding, this pistachio pudding cake is simple yet irresistible!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
I first shared this pistachio cake recipe on Amanda’s Cookin’ but I wanted to share it here, too, because it’s my mom’s most popular recipe.
My mom is not much of a baker. She is amazing at many, many things, but baking is not one of them. However, she’s been making this pistachio pudding cake for as long as I can remember and it turns out great every single time.
I’m fairly new to poke cakes but they’re so easy! I want to poke holes in more things.
BEST PISTACHIO CAKE RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- White Cake Mix
- Egg Whites
- Vegetable Oil
- Instant Pistachio Pudding
- Chopped Pecans
- Powered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Melted Butter
WHAT IS A POKE CAKE
A poke cake is a cake that is prepared and then you literally poke holes into it and pour something over it to soak into the holes – often a sweetened condensed milk, chocolate, or in this case, a simple frosting.
In this pistachio cake recipe, letting the frosting drizzle down into the cake, on top of having pistachio pudding in the batter, leaves you with a super moist cake.
HOW DO YOU MAKE JELLO POKE CAKES
There are a couple different ways to make Jello poke cakes. In this pistachio pudding cake, we’re adding instant pistachio pudding right to the white cake mix batter. In some cases, like these Strawberry Poke Cupcakes I made, you prepare the cake/cupcakes and then use a Jello mixture that you don’t let set, to make pour into the poked holes.
I’ve been blogging for about seven years now and I don’t know what has taken me so long to share this pistachio cake recipe. Every time my mom makes it she is asked for the recipe.
I sent one with my husband to a gathering he attended and he came home with marriage proposals for me.
It’s that good.
TOOLS TO HELP MAKE PISTACHIO CAKE
WHEN TO SERVE PISTACHIO CAKE
The green tinge from the pistachio pudding would make it great for St. Patrick’s Day but really, we make it all year round. Because it makes a 9 x 13 cake, it’s great to slice up for parties.
NEED MORE PISTACHIO DESSERTS? TRY THESE:
- Death by Chocolate & Pistachio Cookies
- Vanilla Bean Pistachio Cake
- Pistachio Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
- Watergate Salad Pie
I even made my first video – watch me make it in just over a minute 😉
Told you it was easy!
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
HOW TO MAKE PISTACHIO CAKE
For the cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons water
- 3.4 oz instant pistachio pudding
- 2.25 oz pecans chopped
For the frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1/3 cup water
For the cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, egg whites, oil, water, and pistachio pudding. Use an electric mixer to beat on medium until fully combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle the chopped pecans evenly on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting.
For the frosting
- In a medium bowl, add the powdered sugar, vanilla, melted butter, and water. Whisk together until smooth.
- Once cake is cooled, poke holes into the top (I used a candy stick) and pour frosting over the top letting it run through and sink in.
- Slice and serve.