These Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Cookies are only six ingredients with the help of a cake mix. A moist red velvet cookie with swirls of cream cheese throughout make the perfect and festive treat for Valentine’s Day!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Serve these red velvet cream cheese swirl cookies after a dinner of meatloaf with brown gravy!
If you’ve noticed, the blogging world runs on a retail schedule – meaning that Valentine’s Day treats should have started going out right after Christmas.
I’m not one of those bloggers that are on top of things and make recipes ahead of time for holidays. Well, I do, I just don’t blog them until after the holidays.
But really, are red velvet cookies only good for Valentine’s Day? No. These are great all year long.
RED VELVET CREAM CHEESE SWIRL COOKIES INGREDIENTS
- Red Velvet Cake Mix
- Cream Cheese
WHAT EXACTLY IS RED VELVET
There’s more to red velvet cake than just food coloring. It typically includes cocoa powder, vinegar, and buttermilk. Those ingredients, along with the red dye, react to make the flavor and color of red velvet.
WHAT DOES RED VELVET TASTE LIKE
Because of the small amount cocoa powder in red velvet batter, there is a mild chocolate flavor. Not as strong as a traditional chocolate cake (or cookie), but you definitely pick up the chocolate flavor.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE THESE COOKIES
- Baking Sheets – I recently got two of these OXO baking sheets & they’re so pretty. I may have referred to them as my prized possessions to my husband.
- Silicone Baking Mats – Silicone mats help your cookies to bake evenly and make clean up a breeze.
- Mixing Bowls – I love the grippy bottoms so they don’t slip around.
- Spatulas – You don’t even need a mixer for these cookies, but I love a good silicone spatula for mixing batters.
TIPS TO MAKE THESE COOKIES A SUCCESS
- Starting with room temperature butter and cream cheese is a must! You are mixing these by hand (no mixer) so make sure your ingredients are room temperature or you’ll get frustrated.
- In order for these to be cream cheese swirl cookies, you can’t over mix the batter. Gently fold in the cubed cream cheese to swirl it in and not fully incorporating it.
- Store these cookies in an airtight container. I like to keep them in the fridge since they have cream cheese.
NEED MORE RED VELVET IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE RECIPES:
- Red Velvet M&M Cake Mix Cookies
- Nutella Stuffed Red Velvet Cookies
- Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Bars
- Red Velvet Chocolate Ganache Truffles
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Cookies
These Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Cookies are only six ingredients with the help of a cake mix. A moist red velvet cookie with swirls of cream cheese throughout make the perfect and festive treat for Valentine's Day!
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons butter softened
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 4 oz cream cheese softened & cubed
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, oil, butter, and milk. Stir with a spoon until fully combined. Batter will be very thick.
Drop in the cubed cream cheese into the batter and gently fold in to swirl. Don't over mix.
Use a cookie scoop to drop by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, 12 per sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are just set.
Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to cool completely.
Originally published February 14, 2013