Classic Meatloaf with Brown Gravy for those nights you’re feeling nostalgic and want an easy, filling meal.
Last night I sat down & made a meal plan/grocery list. Hopefully I stick to it.
Do you have a meal your mom used to make a lot & you kinda got burnt out on it? That’s meatloaf for me.
But, Bob has been requesting it for months. He specifically said he wanted the kind with gravy, not ketchup/BBQ sauce.
I hadn’t eaten meatloaf in probably 15 years (I’m not really happy that I can say I haven’t done something in 15 years..), but I was pleasantly surprised. It’s good.
- Ground Sirloin – Sirloin is my cut of choice, but if you have ground round or chuck, those will work too. Sirloin, however, is lean and has a great flavor
- Bread Crumbs – I just use plain bread crumbs but you can switch it up and use Italian or other flavored to change the taste.
- Worcestershire sauce – A super savory sauce, Worcestershire is perfect for meatloaf.
- Egg – The egg helps act as the glue to hold your meatloaf together.
- Salt & pepper – the basics, but so important!
- Onion flakes – Dried onion is great to keep on hand for those days you run out of fresh onion. Or you just don’t feel like peeling, chopping, crying (me!)
- Montreal steak seasoning – Typically a blend of garlic, coriander, black pepper, cayenne pepper flakes, dill seed, and salt, Montreal steak seasoning adds a lot of flavor.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE MEATLOAF
- Large Mixing Bowl – I’ve had these OXO mixing bowls with grips on the bottoms for years (they were actually a wedding shower gift from my grandma) and they’re my favorite.
- 8″ x 4″ Loaf Pans – I like that this set comes with two pans – one of meatloaf, one for a cinnamon quick bread for dessert.
- Meat Thermometer – You need to make sure that your meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees and it’s safest to check it with a meat thermometer.
- Gravy Boat – You need a gravy boat to pour gravy ALL over your meat and potatoes.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH MEATLOAF?
- Brown Gravy – I personally like the brown gravy packet mix. If you want to make it from scratch, here’s a “how to make gravy” recipe.
- Mashed Potatoes – You have to have mashed potatoes with meat loaf. HAVE TO.
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole – If you’re watching your carbs and want to skip the potatoes, I highly recommend loaded cauliflower casserole.
- Roasted Zucchini – I love roasting veggies and zucchini pairs perfectly with meatloaf.
Meatloaf with Brown Gravy
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t. onion flakes
- 1/4 t. Montreal steak seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients & mix well.
- Shape into an 8" x 4" pan.
- Bake on the center rack for 1 hour or until internal temperature is 160 degrees. Meat should be well done with no traces of pink.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Adapted from Allrecipes
Originally published August 15, 2011