Classic Meatloaf with Brown Gravy for those nights you’re feeling nostalgic and want an easy, filling meal.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Last night I sat down & made a meal plan/grocery list. Hopefully I stick to it.
Do you have a meal your mom used to make a lot & you kinda got burnt out on it? That’s meatloaf for me.
But, Bob has been requesting it for months. He specifically said he wanted the kind with gravy, not ketchup/BBQ sauce.
I hadn’t eaten meatloaf in probably 15 years (I’m not really happy that I can say I haven’t done something in 15 years..), but I was pleasantly surprised. It’s good.
- Ground Sirloin – Sirloin is my cut of choice, but if you have ground round or chuck, those will work too. Sirloin, however, is lean and has a great flavor
- Bread Crumbs – I just use plain bread crumbs but you can switch it up and use Italian or other flavored to change the taste.
- Worcestershire sauce – A super savory sauce, Worcestershire is perfect for meatloaf.
- Egg – The egg helps act as the glue to hold your meatloaf together.
- Salt & pepper – the basics, but so important!
- Onion flakes – Dried onion is great to keep on hand for those days you run out of fresh onion. Or you just don’t feel like peeling, chopping, crying (me!)
- Montreal steak seasoning – Typically a blend of garlic, coriander, black pepper, cayenne pepper flakes, dill seed, and salt, Montreal steak seasoning adds a lot of flavor.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE MEATLOAF
- Large Mixing Bowl – I’ve had these OXO mixing bowls with grips on the bottoms for years (they were actually a wedding shower gift from my grandma) and they’re my favorite.
- 8″ x 4″ Loaf Pans – I like that this set comes with two pans – one of meatloaf, one for a cinnamon quick bread for dessert.
- Meat Thermometer – You need to make sure that your meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees and it’s safest to check it with a meat thermometer.
- Gravy Boat – You need a gravy boat to pour gravy ALL over your meat and potatoes.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH MEATLOAF?
- Brown Gravy – If you don’t want to use a packet, this easy gravy recipe only has FIVE ingredients. If you want to make it with drippings, here’s a “how to make gravy” recipe that uses drippings.
- Mashed Potatoes – You have to have mashed potatoes with meat loaf. HAVE TO.
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole – If you’re watching your carbs and want to skip the potatoes, I highly recommend loaded cauliflower casserole.
- Roasted Zucchini – I love roasting veggies and zucchini pairs perfectly with meatloaf.
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese – with only three ingredients and basically zero prep time, this macaroni and cheese is the perfect side dish.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
Meatloaf with Brown Gravy
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t. onion flakes
- 1/4 t. Montreal steak seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients & mix well.
- Shape into an 8" x 4" pan.
- Bake on the center rack for 1 hour or until internal temperature is 160 degrees. Meat should be well done with no traces of pink.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.
Originally published August 15, 2011