There are only 3 ingredients in this easy, no boil Mac and Cheese and it’s made in the slow cooker! No butter or flour but full of creamy, cheesy flavor that only takes minutes to prep.
Slow Cooker Velveeta Mac and Cheese
I’m a bit of a mac and cheese connoisseur – I have stovetop mac and cheese, twisted mac and cheese, my husband’s secret ingredient macaroni & cheese, mac and cheese in a mug…I could keep going. But this is my first mac and cheese made with only 3 ingredients. And right in the crockpot!
I’ve heard some people are unsuccessful when adding uncooked noodles to the slow cooker, but if you do it right, you’ll get perfectly cooked noodles that are entirely hands off to prepare.
This macaroni and cheese is perfect as a weeknight side dish (you could even sprinkle on some crisp bacon) or to serve to a crowd on game day or for a party.
Below are the ingredients with helpful tips and possible substitutions. Scroll all the way down for the recipe card with full details and measurements.
- Elbow Macaroni – Uncooked macaroni noodles. Other similar sized shapes can be used but I have not tested with whole grain or the veggie varieties of pasta.
- Cheddar Cheese – White or yellow sharp cheddar cheese, preferably shredded from the block. Pre-shredded bags of cheese are convenient, but they have anti-caking agents added to them (have you noticed they sometimes look powdery?) and it keeps them from melting smoothly. They’ll work, but you’ll notice a difference in quality and flavor when you shred it yourself.
- Velveeta Cheese – People have strong feelings (either love or hate) about Velveeta because it’s a processed cheese product. I rarely use it so I don’t mind adding it here. It melts really well and adds to the creaminess. You can use the cheese sauce or the brick.
- Milk – I use 2% milk.
- Salt – A teaspoon of salt.
Like I said, you only need a few ingredients and you’ll be on your way to creamy, cheesy goodness.
Tools found on Amazon to help you
- Slow Cooker – This is my slow cooker of choice – it is a 6 quart. I have had & used it for years. I love that it switches itself to WARM after the designated cook time. Super helpful for long days.
- Box Grater – If you are grating your own cheese (you know that’s my recommendation!), I just use a box grater.
- Silicone Spatulas – I have a large spatula collection and I love these silicone ones because they’re one piece (easy to clean) and they’re heat safe.
How to make 3 Ingredient Mac and Cheese in the Slow Cooker
The best part of this recipe (other than the taste!) is that it only takes minutes to make and is very hands-off.
- STEP ONE: First, add all ingredients to the slow cooker and stir well.
- STEP TWO: Cover and cook on LOW, stirring every 15-20 minutes. Once noodles are tender, pasta is done. Every slow cooker runs differently so your cook time will likely vary from mine – I had perfect noodles at an hour & 15 minutes.
Note that the sauce will thicken as it sits so even if it seems too creamy (wet), as long as the noodles are soft, it is done.
Stir before serving.
Every slow cooker runs differently. Times given are a general recommendation and should be tested in your own slow cooker and adjusted as needed.
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese FAQs
Can I put uncooked pasta in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can! That’s one of the best things about this recipe. You put the uncooked noodles straight into the crockpot, no boiling, and while cooking, they softens up to the perfect texture. So easy!
Can I use evaporated milk?
Yes, though I used 2% milk in this recipe, you can also use evaporated milk, whole milk, or even low-fat milk in mac and cheese.
How do you keep mac and cheese creamy?
To keep your mac and cheese creamy, make sure you don’t overcook the noodles because they’ll turn to mush. As I mentioned above, even if the sauce looks too loose after 45-60 minutes, if the noodles are tender enough, turn off the slow cooker as the sauce will thicken as it sits.
How can I spice up my mac and cheese?
To give your macaroni and cheese a kick, you can add seasonings like red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, chili, onion, or even garlic powder. Another option is to use pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar.
What is Velveeta? Are there any alternatives?
Velveeta is a “processed cheese product” that is orange, has a soft, springy texture and mild flavor. I don’t use it very often but because it melts so well, it is great in mac and cheese and dips, like Rotel Dip.
In terms of flavor, it is closest to American Cheese. If you’d prefer not to use it, shredded American Cheese can be used, or add some cream cheese for added creaminess.
How to store leftovers
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat in the microwave.
What to serve with mac and cheese
Need more pasta recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of pasta recipes.
Originally published October 1, 2021; photos updated January 16, 2024.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!