How to make meatloaf gravy – quick and easy brown gravy is easier to make from scratch than you think!
I am a big fan of gravy. I make this easy brown gravy any time we’re having mashed potatoes or need to serve it with a meat dish.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
My meatloaf recipe is gravy based instead of ketchup or a tomato sauce. Knowing how to make homemade brown gravy to serve with it, and many other dishes, is a skill you’ll appreciate having.
There are so many recipes that you can pair with it and it whips up in no time.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR MAKING MEATLOAF GRAVY
- Dice your onions small, unless you like gravy with texture.
- Switch up the flavors by adding mushrooms, fresh herbs (like parsley, thyme, sage), a splash of wine, or a splash of soy sauce which will darken the gravy and add great flavor.
- If you like your gravy thin, skip adding the cornstarch slurry.
- If you like it thicker, make a slurry of cornstarch and water and add it to the beef broth. Let it simmer to thicken.
- Prepared gravy should be used within 2-3 days of making it. Any longer than that, you’ll want to freeze it for later use.
Growing up, I always made the gravy packets any time we wanted gravy. I still think it’s pretty good, BUT then I realized how easy it is to make gravy from scratch, with just a few ingredients, and now I don’t have to worry about keeping the packets on hand.
HOW TO MAKE MEATLOAF GRAVY
STEP ONE: To a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the minced onion. Cook and stir until the onion is tender.
STEP TWO: Add the beef broth and stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
STEP THREE: In a small bowl, make a slurry by adding the water and cornstarch and mixing together until smooth. Once fully mixed, pour the slurry into the gravy & stir to distribute and thicken.
MORE DISHES TO PUT GRAVY ON:
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU:
- Sauce Pan – A good non-stick, dishwasher safe covered sauce pan is a great addition to the kitchen.
- Silicone Spatulas – I love these one-piece, heat safe, silicone spatulas. I use them daily.
- Onion/Vegetable Chopper – This chopper makes dicing onion easy and tear-free.
- Gravy Boat – There are so many pretty gravy boats! My local HomeGoods store had many to choose from and most were around $5.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: