Sweet and crunchy slow cooker cinnamon sugar candied almonds are just like you get from the mall or a festival but made right in your slow cooker!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Over the weekend I was browsing through Pinterest and saw this recipe for slow cooker cinnamon sugar candied almonds in my feed. I had other things to do but I knew I wanted to try it out immediately.
Once in a blue moon, I like to get the warm sugared almonds from the mall or in the little paper cone at a festival so how cool would it be to make them at home?
SLOW COOKER CINNAMON SUGAR CANDIED ALMONDS
While you’re making these almonds, you may have your doubts that they’re going to turn out right. For awhile, it will just seem like you’re stirring around some almonds in a pot of sand.
But, like magic, in that last hour, after you pour the water in, they come together and you get perfectly candied almonds.
Though the process is a little time consuming, you’re not actually doing much, you just need to stir them every 20 minutes. I prepped them then made baby food and dinner while they were cooking. Your house will smell amazing.
I got the almonds from Sam’s Club and they were just under $13 for 40 oz/2 lbs. You can also get them on Amazon for a few dollars more, but it’s convenient if you don’t have a Sam’s membership.
If you bag these up for gifts, you could give 9 people a half a cup with that $13 worth of almonds. I think it’s a cute gift – especially if you wrap them up in holiday packaging.
CANDIED ALMONDS INGREDIENTS
- Almonds – Of course. You’ll want to use raw almonds, not roasted. Like I said, I got mine at Target and they were slightly cheaper at Sam’s Club. If you have time, Amazon is convenient and comparable.
- Sugars – You’ll use a combo of both granulated white sugar and light brown sugar.
- Cinnamon – I say this all the time but get a good quality cinnamon, especially when its a key ingredient.
- Salt – To balance the sweetness.
- Egg White – The egg white acts as a glue to hold the sugars to the almonds.
- Vanilla – Again, I know vanilla is expensive, but you a good, quality pure vanilla extract and not imitation. I get mine in bulk at Sam’s Club.
- Water – Adding water is one of the final steps and it helps create the crunchy coating.
HOW DO I MAKE THESE VEGAN?
If you want to make these almonds vegan, you can swap out the egg whites for chick pea juice (aquafaba). 3 Tablespoons of aquafaba replaces one egg white.
UPDATE NOVEMBER 2019
I first published these sugared almonds in 2014 and they’re always popular around the holidays. What is strange is about 80% of you say they’re amazing but the other 20% say they’re terrible and yell at me for wasting their almonds.
I’ve made them successfully many times but I wasn’t sure why some of you were having issues, so I wanted to test. I went back in, tweaked some of the measurements, and I’ve made another version that works really well.
I’m sure there are variations in slow cookers (including age), which I can’t really guess or accommodate for.
I will put the modified recipe below the recipe card (below) if you want to give that one a shot. The recipe in the card is the original. Both work really well for me!
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE CANDIED ALMONDS
- Slow Cooker – Whether you have a Crock Pot brand or different slow cooker, you’ll need one for this recipe. I’ve had this Hamilton Beach version for years and love it.
- Holiday treat bags – These almonds make really cute (& delicious gifts) when you portion them out into pretty little bags!
- Whisk – You’ll need to whisk up the egg white with the vanilla until it’s frothy.
- Large Mixing Bowl – I talk about these mixing bowls all the time because they’re my favorite. They make a great gift.
- Baking Sheet – Once the almonds are done in the slow cooker, you’ll need to spread them out onto a baking sheet to separate and cool. I like baking sheets with lips so nothing slides off the edges, especially when you’re dealing with almonds.
NEED MORE CINNAMON TREATS IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
- Chocolate Stuffed Cinnamon & Sugar Pull Apart Bread
- Cinnamon Quick Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
CANDIED ALMOND RECIPE:
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Sugar Candied Almonds
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk together.
- In another large bowl, add the egg white and vanilla and whisk until frothy.
- Pour the almonds in the egg mixture and toss them around to coat thoroughly.
- Pour the coated almonds into the sugar mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour the entire mixture into the slow cooker and turn to low.
- Cook for 3-3.5 hours, stirring every 20 minutes. It will look like not much is happening for a long time but your house will smell good!
- After 3 hours, pour in 2 Tablespoons of water and stir well. If they look dry, add another 1 Tablespoon of water. This is going to make the crunchy coating and things will start looking right.
- Replace cover & cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When done, pour the almonds onto the prepared baking sheet and separate any that stuck together. Let them cool slightly to harden then enjoy!
Originally published November 18, 2014
Here are the modified measurements, in case you were part of the 20% that had problems & want to give this a try:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4.5 cups raw almonds
- 2-3 Tb water