Vegetable Tian is a delicious vegetarian dish made with zucchini, squash, tomatoes, and red skin potatoes, baked together and sprinkled with cheese. This colorful vegetable recipe makes a beautiful side dish or a main vegetarian meal.
For my second dish (see my first dish here – Crash Hot Potatoes) using my Klondike Rose potatoes, I made this very colorful vegetable tian.
Do you know what a tian is? I had to do some googling. Basically, it is just a layered dish with flavors that should compliment each layer. It can be vegetables, dessert, meat, all kinds of things.
This vegetable tian was really good. Typically I don’t even like cooked tomatoes but I’ll take potatoes, zucchini and squash just about any way you’ll give them to me. The flavors from the onion and garlic melded really well. This is definitely a new favorite way for me to make roasted vegetables.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 of a large yellow onion
- ~1 Tablespoon of minced garlic I always buy minced garlic in EVOO
- 1 large Klondike Rose potato
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 2 roma tomatoes
- Johnny’s Fine Seasoned Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of a cheese blend I used shredded parmesan, asiago & romano
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly coat a shallow pie dish with olive oil. Set aside.
- Dice one half of the onion.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add in the diced onion. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Once the onions are soft and translucent, add in the minced garlic and saute another minute.
- Remove from heat and spread into the greased pie dish.
- While the onions were sauteing, I sliced up my vegetables. I made really thin disks – I’m thinking 1/8″ thick. Try to keep them all the same size so they’ll cook evenly.
- Start a spiral in your pie dish, making a pretty, single-layer pattern with the veggies on top of the garlic/onion mixture, alternating until the dish is full.
- Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and season with the sea salt and black pepper.
- Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, carefully uncover the veggies and make sure the potatoes are fork tender. If they are, you’re good to go. If they’re not quite cooked, recover and continue cooking, keeping an eye on them.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with the cheese blend and bake another 25-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the vegetables start to brown.
- I said it serves 4 but really, my mom and I ate the whole thing. It was really good.
|5 lb bag of Klondike Rose potatoes, Johnny’s Seasoned Sea Salt, Johnny’s Seasoning Salt,|
Klondike Brands Potato Cookbook & some other fun things.
This Contest is closed.