Zucchini Brownies are moist and chocolaty with a simple frosting. They also happen to be dairy-free/vegan. You’ll never know there’s zucchini hidden in them!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
My first job was at a retirement home in the kitchen/dining room. One of my many tasks was shredding carrots for the salad bar. I hated shredding carrots. For one, it’s pretty boring. But it also turns your hands orange and is kind of messy. It was better than peeling hard boiled eggs though.
Man, I loved that job. Old people are the best.
This recipe requires you to shred zucchini. It’s still not my favorite thing to do but at least it doesn’t stain your hands. Plus, it’s worth it.
I went to the Farmer’s Market last weekend with my mom & brother and picked up some green beans and zucchini. I made roasted green beans & zucchini but made sure to save enough for a dessert.
Usually my go-to zucchini recipe is Paula Deen’s zucchini bread.
However, I saw Dorothy at Crazy for Crust make zucchini brownies and knew I had to try them.
ZUCCHINI BROWNIE INGREDIENTS
These actual brownies are vegan / dairy-free. The frosting does call for butter but it can be swapped for coconut oil to keep them vegan.
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vegetable Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Hot Water
They’re all kinds of delicious. They’re very moist and chocolatey. Everyone that has tasted them has said “these have zucchini in them?!”. I don’t like frosting on brownies so I just drizzled it over the top & they were still plenty sweet.
TOOLS TO HELP MAKE ZUCCHINI BROWNIES
NEED MORE WAYS TO BAKE WITH ZUCCHINI? TRY THESE:
- Chocolate Marble Zucchini Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Butterscotch Zucchini Blondies
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
For the brownies
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini shredded
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
For the frosting
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- splash of vanilla extract
To make the brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir.
- Fold in the zucchini.
- Add in 2 Tablespoons water and stir. If your mixture is still powdery, add more water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until it comes together. The batter will be crumbly, but shouldn't be powdery.
- Spread evenly into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched.
To make the frosting
- Add melted butter and cocoa powder to a small bowl, stir and set aside.
- In another small bowl, add the powdered sugar, water, and vanilla. Stir together.
- Stir in the cocoa mixture.
- Spread over cooled brownies.
Photos updated August 6, 2017
More ways to use up zucchini…