A festive Easter egg sugar cookie fruit “pizza” with strawberry cream cheese frosting. You can make it super simple with a sugar cookie mix or make it from scratch.
Easter is going to come and go so quickly this year. It’s sandwiched between Baby Girl’s birthday and my birthday, on top of us trying to coordinate a move. Oh and I’ve been sick for over a month. It’s pretty ridiculous at this point – I went from allergies to a sinus infection and now I think I have some type of actual cold. Anyway, I’m looking forward to Easter. I’ve been picking up basket stuffers for Julia and we got her a pretty dress for church. Everything is more fun with a baby.
Because of all the hecticness, I wanted to make a quick and easy dessert to bring to Easter dinner. I took a shortcut and used a sugar cookie mix because I welcome shortcuts in my life these days and I haven’t found a sugar cookie recipe that I love. Plus, I like the mix. If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you saw that I had a cookie fail, even with a mix. I forgot to grease the pan and the cookie fully stuck. Don’t forget to grease the pan!
I didn’t take any shortcuts with the fruit. I love fresh berries and this recipe really lets you showcase your favorites. I kicked up the cream cheese frosting by adding in some fresh strawberries which makes it a really pretty pink color (naturally!). I found it easiest to cut the egg shape out of the cookie after it baked, but you could shape your dough into an egg before you bake. Chop up the fruit in all different shapes and sizes so you can easily decorate your egg. I can’t wait until Julia is old enough to help with this kind of stuff.
- 1 pouch (1lb 1.5oz) sugar cookie mix (or your favorite "from scratch" recipe)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 oz (1/2 brick) cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup strawberries, chopped
- approx. 3 cups fruit cut into pieces (I used strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 13″ pizza pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the cookie mix, melted butter, and egg and mix with a spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly onto the pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool completely, about 45 minutes. Cut into an egg shape (I just used a butter knife).
- In a food processor or blender, add the softened cream cheese, ½ cup chopped strawberries, powdered sugar, and vanilla and pulse until fully combined and smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the cooled cookie.
- Decorate with the cut up fruit.
- Slice with a pizza cutter & serve.
My first Easter basket was a success! Thank you to Personal Creations who let me customize Julia’s first basket and it turned out adorable. She was especially fond of the snack bar and new bunny sippy cup I included 🙂