What happens when you combine cinnamon rolls with cheesecake? Your new favorite cheesecake recipe is born! Classic cheesecake swirled with a cinnamon filling on top of a cinnamon roll base and finished off with a cream cheese icing make for the ultimate Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake.
Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake
I’ve said this before but as much as I like the components in cheesecake, I don’t love them altogether.
My husband, however, is a cheesecake lover and requested this cinnamon cheesecake for his birthday.
Instead of the traditional graham cracker crust, this cheesecake uses cinnamon rolls as the base! They are topped with a creamy cheesecake, a cinnamon roll filling, and drizzled with cream cheese frosting to finish it off.
Why you’ll love this easy cinnamon roll cheesecake recipe
Easy Recipe – Using refrigerated cinnamon rolls takes out most of the work.
Special Occasions – This easy cheesecake recipe looks (& tastes!) a bit fancy, making it perfect for birthdays, holidays, or celebrations.
Basic Ingredients – You don’t need anything special for this recipe.
Equipment you’ll need
- Springform Pan – You’ll need a 9″ springform pan. They’re often easy to find at HomeGoods/TJ Maxx for a great price.
- Hand Mixer – To get your cheesecake nice and smooth, an electric mixer (either hand or stand) is recommended.
- Silicone Spatulas – I use these for everything. This set even comes with a mini spatula that you can use to swirl the cinnamon filling with.
- Refrigerated Cinnamon Rolls – You’ll need one tube of your favorite cinnamon rolls plus the icing packet that comes with them. Look for the 12.4 ounce (8 count) I’m partial to Pillsbury.
- Cream Cheese – I recommend full-fat cream cheese. Start with it at room temperature for the best results.
- Heavy Cream – Heavy cream makes for a soft, moist cheesecake.
- Eggs – Two large eggs, also at room temperature.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar is what I tested with.
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla extract, not imitation, for the best flavor.
- Butter – You’ll melt butter for the cinnamon swirl mixture. You can use salted or unsalted.
- Brown Sugar – Also for the cinnamon swirl, you can use light or dark brown sugar.
- Flour – Just a bit of all-purpose flour to thicken the cinnamon filling.
- Cinnamon – Try to use a high quality ground cinnamon like ceylon for the best flavor.
How to make Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake
- STEP ONE: Make the cinnamon roll “crust” by gently pressing a tube of refrigerated cinnamon rolls into the bottom of a greased 9″ springform pan. Set aside.
- STEP TWO: Make the cheesecake filling by mixing together room temperature cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Then slowly stream in the heavy cream while mixing until smooth. Finally, add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each until smooth.
- STEP THREE: Make the cinnamon filling by mixing together the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Then stir in the melted butter until well combined.
- STEP FOUR: Assemble the cheesecake by pouring half the cheesecake batter over the cinnamon roll base and then drizzling half the cinnamon filling over the top. Pour the remaining cheesecake batter on top and then finish it off with the remaining cinnamon mixture. Use a butter knife or skewer to gently swirl.
- STEP FIVE: Bake for 45-50 minutes in a 325°F preheated oven or until the edges are set and the center just slightly jiggles. Remove from the oven and let cool for an hour on the counter. After an hour, move it to the fridge for approximately 3 hours to fully chill. Before serving, drizzle with the icing packet that came with the cinnamon rolls. Slice & enjoy!
What to serve with cinnamon bun cheesecake
If you want to make it a cheesecake party, here are some others I’ve made for my husband’s birthdays: mini cheesecakes, Reese’s stuffed cheesecake bars, chocolate chip cheesecake, and red velvet cheesecake swirl brownies.
Tips & Suggestions
Any brand of refrigerated or frozen cinnamon rolls should work as the base.
If your cinnamon rolls didn’t come with a frosting packet, you can easily make a homemade cream cheese glaze.
My market (& Sam’s Club) sells mini cinnamon rolls that would be cute for putting on top of the cheesecake when it’s finished.
How to store cheesecake
How to store leftovers
Leftover cheesecake should be covered and stored in the refrigerator.
How long will cheesecake last in the fridge?
Homemade cheesecake will keep 3-4 days in the fridge.
Can I freeze cheesecake?
Yes, any cheesecake can be frozen, either individual slices or the whole cheesecake. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil and freeze for up to a month for the best flavor.
When ready to eat it, move it to the fridge to thaw, or place it on the counter.
Can I substitute the heavy cream for something else?
Yes! The heavy cream can easily be swapped out for ½ cup of sour cream. You need to change the amount due to the consistency.
Also note that the cheesecake will be more tangy with sour cream than it would be with the heavy cream.
Do I have to layer the cheesecake and cinnamon mixture layers, or can I add all the cheesecake filling then all of the cinnamon mixture?
You can do either, but pouring the different mixtures in in layers helps ensure that the cinnamon mixture goes all the way through the cheesecake filling.
The center of the cheesecake is still jiggly, is that alright?
Yes! Cheesecakes need to ‘set’ even after being baked, so it is normal for more than the very center to be jiggly, just make sure the edges are firm.
It should firm up after it’s chilled in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
Need more cinnamon filled recipes? Try these:
Need more cheesecake recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of dessert recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Originally published January 16, 2014
The highlight of this cake, for me, was the candle. I was watching a new talk show on Food Network over the weekend, saw this Lotus Candle and immediately ordered one. You light the center then it drops open & lights the 12 candles on its own. While it’s spinning & playing Happy Birthday. Stuff like that makes me happy.Happy 36th, Loverface!