Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a healthy and flavorful soup made right in your slow cooker. Chicken, tomatoes, black beans, corn – customize the heat to your liking and add your favorite toppings, including homemade, crispy tortilla strips!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Serve this healthy chicken tortilla soup with chips and homemade salsa to get a restaurant experience at home.
I’m a big fan of crock pot recipes, especially crock pot chicken recipes. Knowing that dinner is waiting for me at home in the slow cooker after work is the best feeling.
Every time we go out to eat and I see chicken tortilla soup on the menu, I’m tempted. I don’t like the creamy versions, just the tomato based ones.
Now, you can make it at home with the ease of your slow cooker and it’s even better than the restaurant version!
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP INGREDIENTS
- Chicken Breasts – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Crushed Tomatoes – 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes.
- Black Beans – 10 oz can of black beans. Low sodium, if you prefer.
- Red Enchilada Sauce – 10 oz can of red enchilada sauce.
- Green Chiles – My market sells 4 oz cans of green chiles – you’ll need 12 oz total.
- Onion – One small onion, diced or chopped, up to you.
- Garlic – Three garlic gloves, or pre-minced garlic.
- Frozen Sweet Corn – 12 oz bag of frozen sweet corn.
- Chicken Broth – 32 oz chicken broth. Low sodium, if you prefer.
- Chili Powder
- Corn Tortillas
- Kosher Salt
- Cilantro (optional)
Making this tortilla soup in the crock pot is so easy!
First, prep all your ingredients.
Then, spray the bottom of the crock pot with non-stick spray and lay the chicken in first, topped with all the other ingredients. Stir to combine.
Next, cover & cook it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
30 minutes before you’re ready to serve the soup, remove the chicken from the pot and shred with a fork, then return it to the soup. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime. Stir to combine and let the flavors come together.
When ready, ladle into bowls and top with crispy tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese…whichever toppings you like.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY TORTILLA STRIPS
Making crispy tortilla strips is so easy!
First, start with corn tortillas – however many you think you’ll want.
Cut them with a pizza cutter into small strips.
Then, spray them with non-stick spray, lay them onto a baking sheet, and sprinkle with coarse salt, the zest of half a lime, and lime juice.
Bake for 5-10 minutes at 375 degrees until they reach your desired level of crispiness.
That’s it! So easy & worth the effort.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU MAKE THIS SOUP:
- Slow Cooker – You’ll need a slow cooker for this recipe, Crock Pot brand or otherwise.
- Vegetable Chopper – Easily chop onions without crying.
- Soup Ladle – Sometimes I try to scoop soup with a spoon then yell at myself for being lazy & not using the ladle that makes life easier.
- Soup Storage for Freezer – Because this recipe makes a lot, I like to freeze extra and use for lunches. These silicone freezing trays make perfect portions.
- Crock Pot Lunch Food Warmer – Once you have the frozen soup portions, this mini crock pot is perfect for warming up the soup at your desk or at home.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- This is a slow cooker recipe but you can easily make this on your stove top as well. Follow the same directions using a large pot of dutch oven instead of the slow cooker pot, but simmer your soup on the stove for about 30 minutes or until the onion is soft and the chicken is cooked through and easily shreds with a fork.
- To add spice, I add a few sliced jalapenos (the kind that come in the jar) but you can also add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- The ingredients can easily vary – don’t like black beans? Skip them or use another variety. Want to skip corn? Feel free. This recipe is very forgiving and easily customizable.
- Optional toppings/garnishes: lime juice, avocado, shredded cheese (I like to use a Mexican blend or pepper jack), sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
For the Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes
- 10 oz black beans
- 10 oz red enchilada sauce
- 12 oz green chiles
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 tsp minced garlic or 3 cloves
- 12 oz frozen sweet corn
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 tsps cumin
- 2 tsps chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 lime
For the Crispy Tortilla Strips
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 lime zested & juiced
- 2 Tb cilantro chopped
- coarse salt optional
To make the Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Spray the bottom of your slow cooker with non-stick spray and place the trimmed chicken cutlets in the bottom.
- Top with the crushed tomatoes, black beans, enchilada sauce, green chiles, chopped onion, minced garlic, frozen corn, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir to evenly distribute.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, remove the chicken from the soup, shred with two forks, then return to the soup. Squeeze the juice of half of a lime into the soup and let rest for 30 minutes.
- When ready, switch your slow cooker to warm for serving.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with crispy tortilla strips and desired garnishes (sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, pico…)
To make the Crispy Tortilla Strips
- Preheat your oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice the corn tortillas into skinny strips and spread them evenly over the prepared baking sheet.
- Spray the strips with non-stick spray again, squeeze the juice of half a lime over the top and sprinkle with lime zest and cilantro. Top with coarse salt. Mix around to fully cover each strip.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, until your desired level of crispiness.