This Easy Banana Bread recipe is everything you want in a simple bread. A moist loaf made with sweet bananas, a hint of cinnamon, and loads of flavor baked to perfection in under an hour.
Serve plain or topped with your favorite spread, this easy banana bread recipe is as good as it gets!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
When the “safer at home” orders first started rolling out, I had at least five people ask me for a banana bread recipe and I didn’t have one.
I have zucchini breads for days, but was lacking with banana. So, I used some of this time at home to make a bread that I’m really happy with.
If you have never made a homemade banana bread you are in for a real treat. The delicate moist bread warm from the oven, not only gives your kitchen the incredible aroma we are all imagining right now, but when you bake homemade banana bread you can control what you put in it and what you don’t.
My recipe calls for simple ingredients and really the only way to make a mistake in this quick and easy recipe is by not letting your bananas get ripe enough. You want them to brown because the more ripe the banana the sweeter and more flavorful your bread will be.
And is there anything better than a warm sweet piece of banana bread?
Keep it plain or kick it up a notch with chocolate chips, raisins, or nuts.
Whether you are new to the world of baking or a long time banana bread maker, this simple and classic banana bread recipe is exacty what you need to add to your baking list. Everyone should know how to have a warm slice of banana bread in just under an hour!
My girls loved it, which is always the true test.
This vintage banana bread uses a few simple ingredients, most of which you will already have in your kitchen.
- Sugar – I tested with granulated white sugar but feel free to experiment with brown sugar or even coconut sugar if you wish.
- Flour – If you are going to use anything other than white all purpose or baking flour keep in mind the flavor of your bread might change. If you use whole wheat, or any wheat alternatives you may find you’ll have a more bitter and earthy taste to it.
- Cinnamon – Try to opt for a high quality cinnamon if you can. It makes a difference.
- Salt – Salt brings out flavor of pretty much anything you are baking or cooking. It creates a nice balance and actually brings out the sweetness of the bread, believe it or not!
- Baking Soda – Baking soda is an activator acting as a leavening agent when combined with an acid which is why it works so well with buttermilk.
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk, bananas and baking soda work so well together to create a soft, moist texture that is reminiscent of a cake. If you don’t have buttermilk, not to worry, regular milk (2% usually) works just as well!
- Butter – Melted and cooled.
- Eggs – I generally use large, organic eggs.
- Bananas – Ripe bananas (preferably with some brown spots). You’ll need 3 bananas to equal about a cup of mashed.
HOW TO MAKE EASY BANANA BREAD
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven and spray a loaf pan with non stick spray. Set it aside.
If you have forgotten to melt your butter or mash your bananas, now is the time!
STEP TWO: Grab two large mixing bowls. In the first bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt and in the second bowl, whisk together the eggs and melted butter.
STEP THREE: Whisk in the baking soda and buttermilk combo along with the vanilla extract into the bowl with the eggs and butter. Then, stir in the mashed banana.
STEP FOUR: Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined and you don’t see any more flour mixture. Pour into prepared pan and bake until done. Let cool until warm, slice and serve!
ARE BROWN BANANAS SAFE TO EAT?
Absolutely! While bananas may look unappealing the longer they sit browning in your fruit bowl, they actually become not only sweeter, but have a higher antioxident content which makes them even better!
HOW TO BROWN A BANANA
If you are as eager to make this banana bread as I am but your bananas are not as ripe as you would like, simply place them on a baking sheet with their peel still on, and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes. You will notice the peel has turned very dark and within that peel you will have a soft sweet banana ready for use.
HOW MANY BANANAS ARE IN A CUP?
Three is the magic number. It takes about 3 ripe bananas to produce a cup of mashed bananas.
HOW TO STORE IT
To keep the moisture in your banana bread it will need to be kept in an air tight container or plastic wrap. It will keep at room temperature for a couple of days but if for whatever reason after two days you manage to still have some leftover (impossible I say!) keep it wrapped tightly in the fridge for up to a week.
CAN I FREEZE HOMEMADE BANANA BREAD?
Kept in an airtight freezer bag or plastic wrap, banana bread will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
HAVE MORE BANANAS TO BAKE WITH? TRY THESE RECIPES:
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU:
- Mixing Bowls – You know I love the grippy bottoms on these mixing bowls.
- Loaf Pan – I like the simple glass loaf pans. Or I have cute ones from TJ Maxx/HomeGoods.
- Balloon Whisk – A good balloon whisk is super helpful. Just don’t smash it in the drawer, like I do.
- Masher – Perfect for masking bananas or eggs or potatoes.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Easy Banana Bread
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- To another large bowl, whisk together the eggs and melted butter.
- Whisk in the baking soda/buttermilk combo and vanilla extract. Then, stir in the mashed banana.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined and you don’t see any more flour mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, check with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. If not, cover loosely with foil and bake another 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for approximately 10 minutes the flip out of the pan, slice & serve