Easy Chocolate Banana Muffins are a soft and fluffy muffin filled with chocolate chips & sprinkled with sugar. I love baking from scratch when you don’t even have to get the mixer out!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Since having kids, we always keep bananas on hand. They make the perfect snack or side dish.
But, when they get too ripe (no one likes a brown banana. Actually, my brother does, but most people don’t), they’re perfect for baking.
These muffins are chocolatey with a subtle banana flavor, and the chocolate chips are nice surprises. Plus, the sugar crust on the top? My favorite.
- Bananas – You’ll want to use bananas that are soft and starting to brown.
- Vegetable Oil – You could also use unsweetened applesauce.
- Egg – One large egg.
- Sugar – I use granulated white sugar.
- Flour – I’ve only tested with white all-purpose flour.
- Cocoa Powder – Unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Baking Soda – To make them fluffy.
- Baking Powder – Again, for rise.
- Chocolate Chips – I use mini chocolate chips so they’re not overwhelming.
- Turbinado Sugar – This raw sugar adds a nice crunchy crust to the top of the muffin and a little sweetness.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU:
- Mixing Bowls – My favorite mixing bowls with grippy bottoms.
- Masher – This comes in handy for smashing bananas.
- Cookie Scoop – This makes scooping out and portioning muffin batter so much easier.
- Muffin Pan – I got this one a few years ago & it washes really easily.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS
STEP ONE: To a large mixing bowl, add the mashed bananas, oil, and egg. Mix together with a spoon.
STEP TWO: To another large mixing bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients – sugar, flour, baking powder & soda.
STEP THREE: Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir together. Then pour in the chocolate chips and stir to distribute.
STEP FOUR: Line a muffin pan with wrappers and scoop the batter evenly between the 12 wells. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
CAN YOU FREEZE MUFFINS?
Muffins freeze really well! Put any extras in an airtight freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat them, you can place them on the counter to come to room temperature, or pop them in the microwave.
HOW DO YOU MASH BANANAS?
You can mash bananas with simply a fork, or I like to use a potato/egg masher. You can also use a hand mixer, but that seems like more trouble than it’s worth.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Use bananas that are on their way out (starting to brown). They’re the best for baking.
- I use a potato masher to mash my bananas but a fork will work as well.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter into the muffin wells easily.
NEED MORE MUFFINS IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
NEED MORE WAYS TO USE BANANA? TRY THESE:
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Originally published April 29, 2015