Ham and Potato Breakfast Casserole for Two is easy, delicious, and perfect for those days you’re not cooking for a crowd – whether it’s for breakfast or dinner!
Small Batch Breakfast Casserole
I didn’t use to be a breakfast person. Well, I am, I love breakfast. But, I didn’t used to wake up and make breakfast. I enjoyed sleeping in more than eating.
Now that we have kids, 7:30 is sleeping in. I’ve learned that you can accomplish so many things when you get up early! (who knew?) Lately, before 9 am on the weekends, I have loads of laundry done, the house is clean, the baby has already eaten a couple times, and I now make breakfast.
I love breakfast casseroles but most recipes make a 9×13 pan which is too much for our small family. It’s often just me and my husband eating so I scaled it down to make just enough for the two of us.
Serve it with some fresh fruit and a muffin and you can easily stretch it to four servings.
Tips to make this breakfast casserole really easy 🥚
- To save time, I like to use prepared potatoes in this recipe. Either a brand like Simply Potatoes that are fresh, not frozen, or frozen potatoes that you’ll just have to remember to thaw beforehand. That eliminates the scrubbing, peeling, and dicing to speed things up.
- For the ham, I like to buy a pre-cooked ham steak and quickly dice it up. You can also use leftovers if you’ve recently had ham because it freezes well.
- Add-Ins – I stuck with ham & cheese with this one but you can add in some veggies (diced peppers, onions, spinach, tomatoes) or other meats (sausage).
Side note: Do you put ice in your orange juice? I didn’t know adding ice to your OJ was weird until my husband told me. I took a poll on Facebook and turns out he’s right. Only a couple of you are odd ducks like me and add ice to juice. #rebel
Equipment you’ll need
- 8×8 Baking Dish – the point of this recipe is to make a smaller serving size so you want to make sure you have an 8×8 dish instead of a 9 x 13.
- A whisk – you’ll need to whisk up the eggs with some milk and salt and pepper. I recently ordered this one and really like it.
- A trivet – I’m really bad about putting hot pans directly onto our counter top but you should really put them onto a trivet to cool. There are so many cute options, I need to get more!
What to serve with your breakfast casserole
- Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls – semi-homemade but SO good, these cinnamon rolls would perfectly finish your breakfast.
- No Bake Chewy Granola Bars – these bars are great for breakfast on the run.
- Apple Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins – this is one of my favorite recipes. The fact that it has both a fruit AND a veggie in it makes me feel better about the fact that it’s basically a cupcake.
- Crescent Roll Breakfast Pizza – don’t feel like making a casserole after all? Try it in pizza form!
Need more breakfast ideas? Try these:
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Originally published October 6, 2014