This easy homemade Honey Cornbread recipe is sweet and moist from the honey with a salted butter top for balance. This side dish is great for Thanksgiving or a BBQ!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
I’m a big fan of cornbread. Always have been. When I was little and my dad would bring Boston Market home for dinner, I always went for the cornbread first.
Making it at home is super easy. It only takes about five minutes to prep and 25 minutes to bake so it’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner or BBQ but also perfect as a Thanksgiving side dish.
- FLOUR – All purpose white flour.
- CORNMEAL – You need cornmeal for cornbread.
- BAKING POWDER – For rise.
- BAKING SODA – Again, for rise.
- SALT – For balance.
- EGGS – Two large eggs.
- BUTTERMILK – If you don’t have buttermilk, you can add one tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup, and add enough milk until it measures 1 cup. Stir, and let sit for five minutes before using.
- UNSALTED BUTTER – You’ll use unsalted butter in the batter.
- HONEY – No sugar, just honey in this bread for sweetness.
- VANILLA EXTRACT – I know it’s pricey, but try to use real vanilla extract and not imitation.
- SOUR CREAM – Sour cream keeps the cornbread moist. You can sub Greek yogurt if you prefer.
- SALTED BUTTER – You’ll melt salted butter on the top for the perfect balance of salty and sweet.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU
- Mixing Bowls – You’ll need a couple mixing bowls. I like the grippy bottoms on these.
- Hand Mixer – I reach for my hand mixer way more than my stand mixer.
- Balloon Whisk – To whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Baking Dish – A baking dish with a lid is great for storing leftovers.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY CORNBREAD FROM SCRATCH
STEP ONE: In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
STEP TWO: In a medium bowl with a hand mixer, beat the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, honey, and vanilla extract. Then add in the sour cream until fully combined.
STEP THREE: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into a greased 9×9 baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
STEP FOUR: Slice the two tablespoons of salted butter into 4 or 5 slabs and place them on the top of the cornbread and cover with aluminum foil for 5 minutes to melt. Slice & enjoy!
TIPS TO MAKE YOUR CORNBREAD A SUCCESS
- If serving warm, use a plastic knife for clean cuts.
- Plain yogurt can be used in place of sour cream.
- I like that this recipe isn’t super crumbly like some cornbreads are, at least not to start, it will dry out a little bit as the days go by.
- How do you make cornbread not dry? The honey, buttermilk, and sour cream keep the bread moist and slightly dense.
- I have never tested this recipe without buttermilk and don’t believe that regular milk would be a good substitution for it.
WHAT GOES GOOD WITH HONEY CORNBREAD
MORE CORNBREAD RECIPES:
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!