This easy Salted Caramel Fudge is made with only four ingredients and right in your crockpot! It is the perfect addition to your Christmas spread or for gift giving.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
I’m not the best at making caramel on the stove. I have actually burned it plenty of times making brown butter chocolate caramel cookies & salted chocolate caramel bars. I don’t think I’m supposed to admit that, as a food blogger, but here we are.
The best part of this salted caramel fudge recipe is that it’s made in the slow cooker so it’s hard to burn. The sweet and salty flavors are the perfect contrast.
The violet sea salt makes it extra special and a bit fancy, but if you have regular sea salt, that will work just as well. Don’t run around town trying to find violet, but you can order it on Amazon.
Fudge recipes make for great holiday gifts to friends and family. Baking season means gifting to lots of friends and family, after all!
- DULCE DE LECHE – the primary ingredient for that rich and creamy caramel taste! Dulce de leche is a sweetened, thickened milk that comes in a can.
- WHITE CHOCOLATE BAKING MELTS – a high quality white chocolate is the key in this recipe. If you use white chocolate chips, they won’t melt well.
- VIOLET SEA SALT – Like I said, I opted for violet, but you can use “regular” sea salt or Himalayan pink salt.
- VANILLA EXTRACT – I know it is expensive right now, but pick a vanilla extract, not imitation. I buy it in bulk at Sam’s Club or Costco.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU
- Slow Cooker – This slow cooker is tried and loved by our family. You can set it and forget it as it switches to warm all on its own, which isn’t necessary here, but helpful when making dinner.
- Baking dish – I love a good baking dish when it comes to making homemade candy. This baking dish is great because it’s safe to move from the freezer to oven, when needed, and it has a lid.
- Spatulas – A good silicone spatula is needed for candy recipes. This one stands up to high temperatures and it’s such a fun set!
- Violet sea salt – this sea salt has an added red wine flavor to it, making it a great addition to many recipes!
HOW TO MAKE SALTED CARAMEL FUDGE IN THE SLOW COOKER
STEP ONE: Spray the crock pot with nonstick cooking spray and set to high.
STEP TWO: Pour the white chocolate inside and melt the chocolate, making sure to stir every 10 minutes (chocolate will melt in approximately 20 minutes).
STEP THREE: After the chocolate has fully melted, add the dulce de leche and vanilla. Cook for 40 minutes, making sure to stir every 10 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Add 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt and stir. Line a square baking pan with parchment paper (making sure there is extra hanging over the sides) and then pour fudge into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with remaining sea salt.
STEP FIVE: Place the salted caramel fudge in the freezer and let it set for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight for best results.
STEP SIX: Lift the fudge out of the pan by pulling the edges of the parchment paper up. Cut them as small or as generous as you prefer. Enjoy!
WHY DO YOU PUT SALT IN FUDGE?
Adding salt to fudge recipes helps balance out the sweetness. For this recipe in particular, you are aiming for a sweet and salty taste that can only be achieved by including sea salt.
WHERE DO I FIND VIOLET SEA SALT?
If you can’t find violet sea salt at your local grocery store, it can also be ordered online. We found our violet sea salt on Amazon.
CAN I USE REGULAR SEA SALT?
Sure! The violet sea salt adds a delicious red wine flavor to your fudge so keep in mind the taste might turn out a little different if using typical sea salt.
DO I HAVE TO USE THE SLOW COOKER?
While a slow cooker is super easy, you can also make this on the stove top. Make sure to cook it in a heavy bottom saucepan, over very low heat and stir frequently so you don’t burn it.
HOW DO I STORE IT?
Store caramel fudge in an airtight container and keep it in a cool place, preferably the fridge. It can also be frozen to eat later.
You can expect it to last 2-3 weeks in the fridge or up to 3 months stored in the freezer.
MORE HOMEMADE CANDY IDEAS:
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
Salted Caramel Fudge
- 13.4 oz can dulce de leche
- 18 oz white chocolate baking melts
- 1 Tb violet sea salt or regular sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lightly spray the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Set to high and pour chocolate inside.
- Melt white chocolate in the crock pot. Make sure to stir every 10 minutes. (Approximately 20 minutes)
- Once melted, add dulce de leche and vanilla. Cook for 40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.
- Add ½ tablespoon of sea salt and stir.
- Line a square pan with parchment paper
- Pour fudge into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining violet sea salt. Place into the freezer and let set for 5 hrs or overnight. Use parchment paper to easily remove fudge from the pan.
- Cut and enjoy!