These Sprinkled Chocolate Fudge Cookie Bites are perfect for a cookie swap or to put out on a holiday table.
I posted a meme on Facebook the other day about whether, when asked, you refer to your kids’ age in months or years and got quite a few responses (see it here), some snarkier than I cared for. Let me be clear, I would never refer to a two year old as 24 months. That’s weird. And annoying. I was asking more about my 20 month old who’s over 1.5 but not quite 2. There’s a big difference between a 15 month old and a 20 month old! I get that most people are just asking to be asking, they probably don’t actually care, but after tracking a pregnancy for 40 weeks, week-by-week, then switching to months for an infant, it’s hard to switch over to years.
For the record, I generally say “she’ll be 2 in March” or something to that effect.
Also for the record, sometimes I ask annoying things on FB just to bring people out of the woodwork & interact with me #missionaccomplishedAnyway, I hope you guys like cookies because I’ve got quite a few coming your way in the next couple weeks. I initially made these Chocolate Fudge Cookie Bites for the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap but they looked so skimpy in my packaging (“Bites” is a key word – they really are small), I ended up making another batch of cookies (that I’ll be sharing with you next week) to go with them.
They’re a Weight Watchers recipe and I think it’s nice to have a “lighter” cookie that still tastes great during the holidays among all the temptations. Use your favorite sprinkles to jazz them up. I don’t recommend the green sugar, like I used (though I didn’t include any in the pics). My husband said they looked like “something you’d find in a litter box”. How’s that for appetizing?
Sprinkled Chocolate Fudge Cookie Bites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 Tablespoons butter softened
- 4 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- your favorite sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, cocoa powder, and softened butter. Use a hand mixer to beat until combined.
- Add in the applesauce and vanilla and continue beating until blended.
- In a small bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the flour mixture into the beaten mixture and carefully stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until fully combined.
- Pour your sprinkles into a shallow bowl.
- Use your hands to shape the dough into approximately 40 small balls (marble size) and roll in sprinkles to fully coat. Once coated, line on the prepared baking sheets, approximately 1" apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for a minute on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.