Sweet and crunchy slow cooker cinnamon sugar candied almonds are just like you get from the mall or a festival but made right in your slow cooker!
Over the weekend I was browsing through Pinterest and saw this recipe for slow cooker cinnamon sugar candied almonds in my feed. I had other things to do but I knew I wanted to try it out immediately.
Once in a blue moon, I like to get the warm candied almonds from the mall or in the little paper cone at a festival so how cool would it be to make them at home?
SLOW COOKER CINNAMON SUGAR CANDIED ALMONDS
As they were cooking, I had my doubts. I’ve never made anything like this in the slow cooker and for quite awhile, it just looked like I was stirring around some almonds in a pot of sand.
But, like magic, in that last hour, after you pour the water in, they come together and you get perfectly candied almonds.
Though the process is a little time consuming, you’re not actually doing much, you just need to stir them every 20 minutes. I prepped them then made baby food and dinner while they were cooking.
I got the almonds from Target. The 32 oz canister was around $13. I later went to Sam’s Club and they were slightly cheaper. They don’t seem to be cheaper on Amazon, which surprises me, but I didn’t want to wait for a delivery anyway.
If you bag these up for gifts, you could give 9 people a half a cup with that $13 worth of almonds. I think it’s a cute gift – especially if you wrap them up in holiday packaging.
Things you might need to make these candied almonds:
Almonds – like i said, I got mine from Target and they were slightly cheaper at Sam’s Club. If I had time, I like the convenience of Amazon.
My slow cooker of choice – I love this thing.
Holiday treat bags – the almonds make really cute (& delicious gifts) when you portion them out into pretty little bags!
GOOD cinnamon – don’t skimp and buy cheap cinnamon. Try to find ceylon cinnamon, it’s worth it.
Sweet and crunchy cinnamon sugar candied almonds just like you get from the mall or a festival but made right in your slow cooker!
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1.5 cups light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4.5 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup water
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk together.
- In another large bowl, add the egg white and vanilla and whisk until frothy.
- Pour the almonds in the egg mixture and toss them around to coat thoroughly.
- Pour the coated almonds into the sugar mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour the entire mixture into the slow cooker and turn to low.
- Cook for 3-3.5 hours, stirring every 20 minutes. It will look like not much is happening for a long time but your house will smell good!
- After 3 hours, pour in the ¼ cup of water and stir well. This is going to make the crunchy coating and things will start looking right. Leave in the slow cooker for another 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When done, pour the almonds onto the prepared baking sheet and separate any that stuck together. Let them cool slightly to harden then enjoy!
Or maybe you’ll like…
Chocolate Stuffed Cinnamon & Sugar Pull Apart Bread
Cinnamon Quick Bread