This Brown Sugar M&M Cookie recipe is a fun twist on the traditional sugar cookie that will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. Crisp on the edges, chewy in the middle – just like a cookie should be!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Serve these cookies for dessert after a dinner of one dish ranch chicken veggie bake!
The other night, I woke up at 4:00 am from a very realistic dream. In my dream, I was prepping my kitchen to make oatmeal cookies on Facebook Live. [Have you seen what that is? Anyone can now go live on Facebook for your friends, family, and followers – Bob “went live” at Best Buy when I was buying my new phone.] So, in my dream, since we don’t have a kitchen island, I used one of those suction cup cell phone holders and stuck my phone to my window while I made my cookies for all to see. It went so well, I was a natural.
Like I said, I woke up from this dream around 4:00 am and was totally inspired. I felt wide awake (rare for me, especially after waking from a deep sleep), so I grabbed my phone and ordered the suction cup thing from Amazon. After a bit, I fell back asleep.
The next morning, I wondered what I was thinking. I’m not a shy person but I’m also not a “hey look at me!” type person so do I really want to go live on Facebook? What will I talk about – especially for the 10 minutes that cookies take to bake? So, what do you think? Have you seen bloggers making things live in your feed? I love watching them but I’m not sure if it’s the right platform for me. Either way, my cell phone holder came in the mail today so I’m ready.
BROWN SUGAR M&M COOKIE INGREDIENTS
- Baking Soda
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
IS IT BETTER TO USE SHORTENING OR BUTTER IN COOKIES
Using shortening in cookies makes for a chewier cookie where using all butter tends to make a crisper cookie so it’s a personal preference.
HOW DOES SHORTENING AFFECT COOKIES
HOW MUCH BETTER SHOULD I USE INSTEAD OF SHORTENING
I don’t often keep shortening on hand so when you need a shortening substitute, you can use all butter. Vegetable shortening doesn’t contain water (where butter does), so you’ll need slightly more butter than you would shortening. If the recipe calls for 1 cup of shortening, use 1 cup PLUS two tablespoons of butter.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE THESE BROWN SUGAR M&M COOKIES:
- Mixing Bowls – I love the grippy bottoms and these colors are fun.
- Cookie Scoop – I haven’t make a cookie without using a cookie scoop in YEARS. It makes it so much easier.
- Hand Mixer – My go-to for mixing batters.
- Silicone Baking Mats – Your cookies will bake more evenly and you’ll have less cleanup when you use silicone mats.
NEED MORE M&M TREATS IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
- Chewy Brownie M&M Cookies
- Coconut Oil Cookies Bars with Peanut Butter M&Ms
- M&M Chocolate Pudding Cookies
- M&M Cookie Pie
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
HOW TO MAKE BROWN SUGAR M&M COOKIES
Brown Sugar M&M Cookies
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup butter softened (I used salted)
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&Ms
- In a large bowl, add the flour and baking soda and whisk together.
- In another large bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer), add the butter, shortening, and brown sugar and mix until fluffy (a few minutes).
- Add in the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add in the vanilla and beat.
- Turn the mixer to low and scrape down the sides.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture, mixing only until the flour disappears.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Once chilled, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out the dough and place 12 per baking sheet.
- Press 4-5 M&Ms into the top of each dough ball.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until just golden.
- Remove from oven and immediately slide the parchment paper onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
I first shared this recipe on Juggling Act Mama.
Or maybe you’d like…
Chewy M&M Sugar Cookies
Giant Peanut Butter Reese’s Pieces Cookie (for one)