Classic Chocolate Chip Snack Cake is so good and SO EASY. Easy enough for kids to help with and quick enough to make as an after school snack.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
I first made Chocolate Snack Cake right after Rosie was born, while on maternity leave. Now, I made this Chocolate Chip variation while quarantined and doing remote school. I like to bake in stressful situations.
This cake, a variation of Wacky Cake, has no milk, butter, or eggs making it vegan. It came about in the Depression era when those ingredients were scarce so it was perfect during lockdown when grocery trips were also limited.
It whips up really quickly and makes a small cake, which is perfect for our family. Whether an afternoon snack or to satisfy a sweet tooth, this cake should be in your recipe box.
- Flour – All purpose white flour.
- Brown Sugar – I use light brown. Dark brown will work as well.
- Baking Soda – For rise.
- Salt – For balance.
- Oil – Vegetable oil. You can sub applesauce, if you prefer.
- Vinegar – White vinegar works along with the baking soda to add fluff to the cake.
HOW TO MAKE IT
STEP ONE: To a large mixing bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.
STEP TWO: Stir in the water, oil, and vinegar and mix until just combined.
STEP THREE: Pour into an 8 x 8 baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
HOW TO SERVE IT
WHAT IF I DON’T WANT TO USE VEGETABLE OIL?
I have tested swapping the vegetable oil for applesauce in this recipe and it works well, but you’ll get a denser cake.
NEED MORE EASY CAKES IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
Click here for a complete list of cake recipes.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- powdered sugar optional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 and set out an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- To a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in the water, oil, vinegar, and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool on a cooling rack. Once fully cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar, slice, and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.