Have you had a Hot Chocolate Bomb yet? Have you had a hot chocolate bomb with a COSMIC BROWNIE inside of it? These treats are easy to make, impressive, and fun!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Hot chocolate bombs seem to have taken the world by storm. They are everywhere, in every variety. My girls love them, possibly the process of unveiling the hot cocoa even more so than actually drinking it.
If you haven’t seen one yet, let me fill you in. A hot chocolate bomb is a chocolate sphere filled with hot cocoa mix, mini marshmallows, and in this case, a Cosmic brownie bite.
You take the completed, and oh-so-pretty, bomb, place it into a coffee mug then pour either warm milk or water over the top. The chocolate shell melts, releasing the hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows that are inside.
Give it a stir and you have the perfect cup of hot cocoa!
Sure you could buy them (I’ve seen many people selling them in my local Facebook group), but you’ll feel so much more accomplished to make them yourself. You can control what goes inside them, and they make great gifts.
Making hot chocolate bombs is probably easier than you think. You might very well have all these things already in your panty, though I’m assuming you’ll need to buy a mold.
Below is a list to help you gather what you need – the full recipe with instructions is down below.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS – I always have Ghirardelli Baking Chips on hand, but you might prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips.
RAINBOW CHIPS – Candy coated rainbow chocolate chips. Order them if you can’t find them at your store (or in a pinch, pull them off the Cosmic brownies).
HOT COCOA MIX – Use your favorite store bought mix or make homemade.
COSMIC BROWNIES – Buy the Little Debbie version from the store or use one out of a homemade batch.
MINI MARSHMALLOWS – I often have a hard time finding these at our market but you can order them in bulk.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU
Outside of the actual ingredients, you will need a few supplies. If you don’t have them on hand, below are Amazon links for easy ordering:
- Silicone Sphere Mold – I used a traditional sphere mold (they fit well in mugs) but you can get fancy with diamond and heart shapes, too.
- Pastry Brush – Using a pastry brush makes spreading the chocolate into the molds really easy.
- Rainbow Chips – Sometimes these candy coats multi-colored chips are hard to find in stores but you can easily order them.
HOW TO MAKE HOT COCOA BOMBS
Like the homemade rock candy I recently shared, though easy, the process for assembling the hot cocoa bombs is a little more involved so I’ll be showing you more step-by-step photos than usual to make things easier.
STEP ONE: Melt two cups of chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Use a pastry brush to spread about 2 Tablespoons of chocolate into each well of the mold. Make sure the chocolate is even and well coated so the sphere is not fragile. Move the mold to the fridge or freezer to harden for about 10 minutes.
STEP TWO: Once set, remove the spheres from the mold and lay 6 face down on a plate. Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, transfer the melted chocolate to a small ziptop or piping bag, and drizzle the 6 spheres with the chocolate. Immediately add on a few rainbow chips before the chocolate sets.
STEP THREE: Lay the 6 remaining spheres face up on a plate. Spoon in 1 Tablespoon of hot chocolate mix, one piece of brownie, and several mini marshmallows.
STEP FOUR: Warm a small microwave safe plate in the microwave for 45-60 seconds. Lay the decorated half sphere edge down onto the plate to slightly melt the chocolate. It will even out the edge and make a “glue” of melty chocolate to hold the pieces together.
STEP FIVE: Immediately connect with the corresponding, filled half sphere so that the edges meet. Repeat with the remaining 5 spheres until they are all completed.
HOW TO SERVE THEM
Once ready to serve, place a hot chocolate bomb in the bottom of a large mug. Pour 6 ounces of either warm milk or warm water over the top and watch it dissolve. Give it a stir to fully combine and enjoy!
HOW TO STORE THEM
Assembled hot chocolate bombs can be stored in an airtight bag or container for up to 2 weeks.
WHAT SIZE MOLDS
You’ll want a mold with a 2.6″ diameter to make the common hot chocolate bombs you’ve likely seen. They hold 1 Tablespoon of cocoa mix, marshmallows, and the brownie bite perfectly. Plus, they fit in most mugs.
NEED MORE COZY RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Click here for my entire collection of dessert recipes.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
Cosmic Brownie Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Half sphere silicone mold
To Assemble Hot Cocoa Bombs
- In a small, microwave safe bowl melt 2 cups chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring in between each interval. This should take 60-90 seconds.
- Once melted, spoon about 2 Tablespoons of chocolate into each half sphere. Use a pastry brush or the back of a spoon to spread the chocolate around the whole sphere. Make sure the edges are well coated so that they are not fragile. Let set in the fridge or freezer until hardened, about 10 minutes. Once set, gently remove from the molds.
- Lay 6 half spheres on a plate, face down.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt ¼ cup chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring in between. This should take 30-60 seconds. Once melted, spoon into a baggie or piping bag. Snip a small corner in the bag. Drizzle one half sphere with melted chocolate. Place several mini, multi colored chocolate chips on top of the drizzle before it hardens. Repeat until you've done all 6. Let set in the fridge or freezer for 3-5 minutes until hardened.
- Lay the 6 remaining, plain half spheres face up on a plate. Spoon 1 Tablespoon of hot cocoa mix into each half sphere. Top with one piece of cosmic brownie and several mini marshmallows.
- Warm a small, microwave safe plate in the microwave for 45-60 seconds. Lay decorated, empty half sphere on the plate for a couple seconds until it begins to melt the edges. This creates an even edge and a sort of glue. Connect with the corresponding, filled half sphere so that the edges meet. Repeat with the remaining 5 spheres until they are all completed. Serve and enjoy!
To Serve Hot Cocoa
- Set a hot cocoa bomb in the bottom of a mug and pour 6 oz of hot milk or water over top until the shell has melted in, releasing the hot cocoa powder, cosmic brownie and mini marshmallows. Stir with a spoon until fully combined.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.