This Hot Chocolate Poke Cake takes everything you love about hot chocolate and puts it into a delicious cake form. This decadent dessert is a chocolate lovers dream. Perfect for a holiday celebration!
Hot Chocolate Poke Cake
It’s Thanksgiving week! Are you ready?! That also means that Christmas is just over a month away.
A sure sign that the holiday season is upon us? I made two batches of cookies last night and a dish for my husband’s office potluck. The holiday season is in full swing.
My mother-in-law is coming into town tomorrow and will be staying with us. She hasn’t met Julia yet so we’re looking forward to that. [But, we’ve never had a house guest before. Say a little prayer for me and my OCD ways.]
My brother will also be coming home from school this week. Then my other brother will be coming from Florida in a couple weeks.
Throw in holiday baking, shopping, decorating, and togetherness and this season is going to be full of fun.
We’re also going to have a “Friendsgiving” tomorrow night before the full family dinner on Thursday. I’m usually in charge of side dishes or desserts on holidays. They’re my thing. I’m bringing this cake.
Hot Chocolate Poke Cake Ingredients
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Cake Mix – Use your favorite chocolate cake mix – I like Dark Chocolate Fudge.
- Chocolate Pudding Mix – You’ll need two 3.4 ounce boxes of instant chocolate pudding. One for the cake mix and one for the pudding layer.
- Eggs – Large eggs are what I tested the recipe with.
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla extract instead of imitation for the best flavor.
- Chocolate Milk – I originally used International Delight heat and serve hot chocolate in this cake but it may have been discontinued because I haven’t seen it recently. If you can’t find it, you can use chocolate milk in this recipe.
- Vegetable Oil – For the cake mix.
- Sour Cream – Makes the cake extra moist.
- Hot Fudge Sauce – Don’t get chocolate syrup, get hot fudge sauce, like Sanders.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – To make the homemade whipped cream.
- Cocoa Powder – Unsweetened cocoa powder to make the whipped cream with a bit of sugar.
Making a slow cooker hot chocolate bar would be fun (dish it up with a ladle, have fun toppings…) but I wanted to incorporate it into a tasty cake. It’s really chocolatey so if you’re a chocolate fan, you won’t be disappointed.
If you’re not in the mood for cake, you can make some cosmic brownie hot chocolate bombs.
If you want a fun gift idea, try my homemade hot cocoa mix.
Given that it snowed about a foot here on Saturday, hot chocolate anything is appropriate.
If you haven’t made a poke cake before, they’re really easy. A few steps, but easy steps.
How to make Hot Chocolate Poke Cake
This poke cake starts with a doctored cake mix, then you poke holes in it, pour on some hot fudge sauce, top that with a layer of chocolate pudding, then smother it with a chocolate whipped cream.
Drizzle on some more hot fudge sauce and sprinkle on some marshmallow bits and mini chocolate chips and call it a day.
Other poke cakes you might like:
Click here to view my entire collection of cakes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
For another delicious chocolate cake recipe, try my Chocolate Snack Cake!
Do you have family or friends coming in for the holidays?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.