This week was my ::little:: brother’s 21st birthday. He is a vegetarian (not fully vegan) but my mom found this recipe to make him. I had never tried anything vegan and I was pleasantly surprised with these. When I typically think of vegan food, I think of hard to find ingredients and/or tofu (sorry, vegans, that’s my only association!). That is not the case with these cupcakes. No crazy ingredients required and very flavorful. They have a spongey texture and the chocolate & pecans make them really good. Someone found my blog this week by searching “vegan bourbon chicken”, which I’ve never made, hopefully these will suffice.
To celebrate his birthday, we went to a brewery. I don’t drink beer, I drink vodka. This brewery also didn’t serve food so it was a lose/lose situation with me. But he’s one of my favorite people in this world so I was still happy to go.
Notice how amazing my the first picture is – taken by my brother. Not the birthday brother, the talented photographer brother. The second picture, the frosted ones, was taken by me. They don’t even look like the same cupcakes.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pecan Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes[/b]
- 1 Tb apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil or 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 t. vanilla
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon cocoa
- 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips
- 3 Tb orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all cupcake ingredients except the chocolate chips & pecans in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in chocolate chips & pecans.
- Line cupcake pan with wrappers and fill each 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- To make the frosting, combine all "frosting" ingredients, adding more OJ if necessary to thin it out.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.