“Better Than Box Mix” brownies really are better than the box!
Why make a box mix brownies when I’ll bet you have everything on hand to make these?
The other night, after we finished our bourbon chicken, I wanted dessert. I checked the cupboard for a brownie mix but I didn’t have any.
BETTER THAN BOX MIX BROWNIES
I glanced over this recipe I had pinned last month, realized how simple it was, and decided to give it a shot. I’m really glad I did. I had never made brownies from scratch but I doubt I’ll go back to the box mix.
This recipe is so simple & really good. They’re very dense and chocolaty and I’ll bet they’re even better with vanilla ice cream. You probably have all the ingredients on hand so you should give it a shot, you’ll be happy you did.
This makes what would be a “family size” of the box mix – a 9×13 pan, which is about 15-18 good sized brownies.
9 x 13 baking dish WITH LID
Brownie spatula that happens to be really cute
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1¼ cups cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon. vanilla
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli baking chips, per usual)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with foil, allowing it to hang over the edges. Spray foil with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium low heat. Once completely melted, add in the sugar and stir together. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, stirring continually. Don’t let it boil.
- Pour the butter/sugar mixture into a large bowl (or your stand mixer bowl). Add in cocoa powder and mix to combine.
- Add in eggs, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Beat until fully incorporated.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in flour until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and make sure they are evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Once cool, lift the brownies out of the pan using the foil overhang. Peel back the foil and cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container.
Other brownies you may like…
Simple Dark Chocolate Brownies (this makes a small batch – my favorite!)
Pretzel Crusted Brownies
Peanut Butter Brownies
Photos updated October 12, 2016