Why make a box mix brownies when I’ll bet you have everything on hand to make these?
They really are “Better Than Box Mix” brownies!
The other night, after we finished our bourbon chicken, I wanted dessert. I checked the cupboard for a brownie mix but I didn’t have any. Then I remembered that I had saved a recipe Macaroni & Cheesecake posted last month called Better Than Box Mix Brownies. I glanced over the recipe, realized how simple it was, and decided to give it a shot. I’m really glad I did. I had never made brownies from scratch but I doubt I’ll go back to the box mix. This recipe is so simple & really good. They’re very dense and chocolaty and I’ll bet they’re even better with vanilla ice cream. You probably have all the ingredients on hand so you should give it a shot, you’ll be happy you did.
This makes what would be a “family size” of the box mix – a 9×13 pan, which is about 15 good sized brownies.
|See the chocolatly swirls – aren’t they pretty?|
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1¼ cups cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon. vanilla
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli baking chips, per usual)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with foil, allowing it to hang over the edges. Spray foil with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium low heat. Once completely melted, add in the sugar and stir together. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, stirring continually. Don’t let it boil.
- Pour the butter/sugar mixture into a large bowl (or your stand mixer bowl). Add in cocoa powder and mix to combine.
- Add in eggs, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Beat until fully incorporated.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in flour until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and make sure they are evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Once cool, lift the brownies out of the pan using the foil overhang. Peel back the foil and cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container.
Source: Macaroni & Cheesecake