Chicken, spinach, orzo, tomatoes, and feta come together to create a full meal in one skillet!
You guys know I love a good skillet meal (See Southwest Chicken Skillet, Cheesy Chicken Pasta Skillet, or Mexican Turkey Veggie Skillet Lasagna). We only recently discovered that we love orzo (it’s just a rice shaped pasta for those of you that, like me, hadn’t tried it before). I bought a box months ago and never made it until a couple weeks ago. Not only do we love it, Baby Girl loves it and it’s easy to mix with peas or spinach or broccoli for simple meals for her.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Harvestland by Perdue. All opinions are 100% mine. One of the things I love most about being a mom (there are a lot of things, but seriously) is feeding Julia.
She’s a blank slate and I love making her food and putting good ingredients into her little, growing body. It’s been really important to me to make healthy choices for her. Harvestland® by Perdue® products are all natural, no antibiotics, are fed an all vegetarian diet, and are raised cage free. Pure and simple food that let us Eat Like Your Ancestors.™
It’s also a bonus that they’re sold at Walmart because that’s Baby Girl’s happy place. For some reason, going to Walmart makes her day.
I love adding spinach to just about any meal and the flavors from the chicken, orzo, tomatoes and feta really bring this dish together. It is simple but super flavorful and also made great leftovers. Plus, you don’t have to get a ton of dishes dirty. All the qualities of a great meal.
- 1 lb Harvestland® by Perdue® boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic (or 1 clove)
- 1 cup to 1½ cup orzo
- 3 cups fresh spinach, rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup (or to taste) feta (I used tomato & basil)
- Trim your chicken breasts and cut into bite size pieces. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if using), and garlic powder.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil and minced garlic.
- Add in the prepared chicken and cook until no longer pink, stirring often.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Once boiling, add orzo and cook for 6-8 minutes or until your desired consistency.
- Once the orzo is done, drain the pasta, reserving about ¼ cup of the water.
- Add the orzo to the chicken skillet over low heat.
- Add in the spinach leaves.
- Add in the diced tomatoes (drained) and tomato paste.
- Stir in some of the pasta water, if necessary, and stir.
- Cover the pot to let the spinach fully wilt, if necessary.
- Once fully combined, sprinkle with crumbled feta and serve.