Old fashioned, from scratch 7 Up Cake has a subtle flavor of citrus soda and a sweet, tender crumb. This classic bundt cake, topped with a simple glaze and lime and lemon zest, is easy to make and a sure crowd pleaser. This delicious pound cake is a potluck favorite.
This 7 Up pound cake is one of the first cake recipes I posted on Persnickety Plates. I polled my friends to see what they call it – 7Up Pound Cake, 7Up Bundt Cake, or just 7Up Cake. I got mixed responses but whatever you call it, they agreed it’s high up as one of the best pound cake contenders.
Some people start with a cake mix but I prefer to make mine from scratch. It’s an easy cake recipe even when homemade.
The lemon-lime flavor makes for a light-tasting cake and the optional glaze finishes it off for a truly delicious dessert.
It is a vintage recipe that is sometimes known as a “church cake” because it is often at church functions. I’ve also seen it sold as individual slices at restaurants or for bake sales.
Why you’ll love this easy 7Up Pound Cake
- It’s easy – There are only a few steps to this delicious cake – even kids can help with it!
- Perfect texture – No one likes a dry cake and this is far from it.
- Classic cake – This recipe has been around a long time.
Equipment you’ll need
- Mixing Bowls – My favorite mixing bowls, I love the grippy on the bottom.
- Stand Mixer – I LOVE my KitchenAid Stand Mixer but I use my hand mixer even more often.
- Bundt Pan – Look for a 12 cup bundt pan (sometimes called a tube pan). They come in many pretty designs.
Ingredients you’ll need to make a Lemon-Lime Cake
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Butter – Unsalted butter at room temperature.
- Shortening – Unlike butter, which can be made of fat and water, shortening is 100% fat. It adds tenderness & lightness to a cake.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar is what I’ve tested with.
- Flour – All purpose white flour.
- 7-Up Soda – 7 Up works best in this recipe. Other lemon-lime soda brands like Sprite or Sierra Mist can be substituted, but 7-Up is preferred. In addition to the flavor, the carbonation also acts as a leavening agent in the cake batter.
- Almond Extract – A classic pound cake flavor, almond extract is warmer and sweeter than vanilla extract. (you can use all vanilla if you don’t have almond).
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract pairs beautifully with almond extract in this pound cake. Use REAL, not imitation!
- Salt – To intensify the flavors.
- Eggs – 5 large eggs. Yes, five. Eggs provide structure to the cake and moisture. They also help give the smooth and creamy texture.
How to make a moist 7Up Cake
- STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 300 degrees and generously grease a bundt pan with non stick spray or butter and lightly flour.
- STEP TWO: In a large bowl, add butter, shortening, sugar, vanilla extra, and almond extra. Beat until light & fluffy.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the salt and flour.
- STEP THREE: With your mixer running on low, add in 1 egg, then a bit of the 7 Up, then a bit of the flour mixture. Repeat, in that order, until you’re out of ingredients and the batter is fully combined.
- STEP FOUR: Scoop the mixture into your prepared bundt pan and bake for an hour and a half or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for at least 10 minutes then flip to remove from the pan.
How to store leftovers
Leftover 7 Up cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature.
Can I freeze a 7 Up Cake?
Yes, this cake will freeze well – either whole or sliced into individual slices. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and place in freezer bags. Freeze for up to 3 months.
What if I want to glaze it?
You can also make an optional glaze with 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of 7-Up whisked together and poured over the cake.
Why is it called pound cake?
It’s called a pound cake because there’s a pound each of butter, sugar, flour, and eggs in this recipe. That’s a lot of ingredients. But it makes for a really dense, moist, sweet cake.
What does 7-Up soda do in baking a cake?
Besides adding a mild citrus flavor, 7-Up has a high level of carbonation which helps the cake to rise beautifully. Sprite and Sierra Mist will work flavor wise, but 7-Up has the highest level of carbonation and works best for the rise.
If you like this lemon pound cake recipe, also try my 7 Up Chocolate Pound Cake.
7-Up Pound Cake
Need more bundt cake recipes? Try these:
Click here to view my entire collection of cake recipes.
Originally published May 15, 2015