These layered Red White & Blue Jello Shots are perfect for a summer party. Make a batch of American Flag Jello Shots for Fourth of July, Memorial Day, or whenever you’re feeling especially patriotic.
Patriotic Jello Shots
If you’re looking for an easy way to add a touch of patriotism to your next 4th of July or Memorial Day party, this jello shot recipe will do just that.
A red layer, creamy white layer, and blue layer of Jello come together to form a festive jello shot.
I use vodka to make them alcoholic, but that can easily be omitted for a fun non-alcoholic treat for the whole family.
If you’re not into jello shots, try my Patriotic Vodka Cocktail. Equally festive, less jiggly.
Why you’ll love these red white & blue jello shots:
- Perfect Party Drink – Can you call a jello shot a drink? I think so. Whether you make them alcoholic or not, these little shots are easy to serve at a party.
- Huge Hit – Everyone loves the pretty colored layers.
- Easy Recipe – Though you need to allow ample time for them to set, they are simple to put together.
Equipment you’ll need
- Disposable shot glasses – 1 oz or 2 oz plastic cups with lids are easiest.
- Large Mixing Cup with spout
- Star Sprinkles – Optional, but super cute.
Ingredients you’ll need to make American Flag Jello Shots
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- RED JELLO – I like cherry jello but strawberry works as well. Any red color, really.
- BLUE JELLO – I use blue berry (raspberry).
- WATER – Both boiling water and cold water are needed.
- VODKA – Use your favorite. Vodka comes in so many flavors that you could pick one of those, put plain works well with the flavored jellos.
- SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK – To make the creamy white layer.
- UNFLAVORED GELATIN – For the white layer, since there is no white jello (that I know of…).
How to make red white & blue jello shots 🇺🇸
- STEP ONE: Make the blue first layer. In a large measuring cup (or mixing bowl with a spout), add 1 cup of boiling water and the blue jello. Whisk until dissolved and then add in 1/2 cup vodka and 1/2 cup cold water and whisk again. Pour evenly into small plastic shot glasses (1 oz shown), filling approximately 1/3 of the way up, that have been set onto a tray or lipped baking sheet. Place the entire tray into the fridge for approximately 30 minutes or until blue jell-o is firm.
- STEP TWO: Make the white middle layer. In another large measuring cup (or mixing bowl with spout), add 1/2 cup of cold water and two packages of unflavored gelatin. Let it sit for 5 minutes until the mixture is thick. Stir in 1 cup of boiling water and mix until dissolved, and then add in the sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup of vodka. Let the mixture cool slightly and then pour on top of the blue layer until 2/3 full. Place the tray back into the fridge for another 30 minutes (or until firm).
- STEP THREE: Make the red last layer. In a clean, large measuring cup (or mixing bowl with spout), add 1 cup of boiling water and the package of red jello. Whisk until dissolved and then add in 1/2 cup of cold water and 1/2 cup of vodka. Whisk again and then fill the cups the rest of the way up. Place in the fridge for 2 hours or until they are set.
- STEP FOUR: Serve. Once fully set, add the lids and serve! Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Tips & Suggestions
- Before you start, make sure you have room in the fridge for trays or cookie sheets.
- Also make sure to allow a little time for the layers to set or you’ll end up with a mess.
- You can add star sprinkles for added festiveness.
- 1 ounce or 2 ounce shot cups can be used but 2 ounce makes for larger shots.
- This recipe is really easy to double or triple.
- Any red or blue jello flavors will work (black cherry, cherry, cranberry, strawberry, blue berry, etc.)˜
- Other topping options: fresh berries, cherries, whipped cream, Cool Whip, sprinkles, etc.
- Once they’re set and have lids on, they’re easy to transport. You can toss them into a cooler bag or cooler.
What to serve with them
Need more red white & blue treats? Try these:
- Patriotic Brownie Cupcakes
- 4th of July Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods
- Patriotic Fruit Kabobs
- 4th of July Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Patriotic Berry Trifle
How to store them
Jello shots should be stored in the fridge…or you’ll have a mess.
How many does this make?
This recipe will make approximately 60 1 ounce jello shots.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes, this recipe is easily doubled or even tripled for your next gathering.
How long do jello shots keep?
Stored with a lid or in an airtight container in the refrigerator, jello shots will be good for about a week.
Need more Jello Shots Recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of drink recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: