Butter Pecan Bundt Cake starts with a yellow cake mix, is filled with chopped pecans, and is topped with a buttery, sweet glaze full of toasted pecans. Perfect for any occasion and highly addictive!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
You know I love a good bundt cake, but I wanted to combine my love of butter pecan ice cream with my love of cake and this recipe was born.
It is simple, sweet, and full of great, buttery flavor.
To keep it easy, I start with a yellow cake mix and top it with the same glaze I use for my Pistachio Cake. Doctoring up a cake mix allows you to save a couple minutes by starting with a good base.
Below is a summary of the major ingredients as well as some helpful tips and substitutions. Scroll down for the full recipe card.
YELLOW CAKE MIX – A yellow cake mix is the base of this recipe. I personally like Duncan Hines Butter Recipe but use your favorite.
EGGS – You’ll need four large eggs.
SOUR CREAM – Adding sour cream to the cake batter makes for a really moist cake.
MILK – Again, more moisture for a tender crumb. I used skim milk because that’s what we had on hand, but 2% or whole will also work.
VANILLA EXTRACT – Vanilla adds great flavor to any baked good. I know real vanilla extract is pricey but it is so much better than imitation. I buy it in bulk from Sam’s or Costco but you can also make your own.
PECANS – You can’t have butter pecan cake without pecans! I like to buy pecan pieces when the store has them, but you can also buy them chopped (larger pieces) or whole & chop them yourself. Size is a personal preference so choose whichever you like.
If you have extra pecans, you should make some candied pecans!
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU
- Mixing Bowls – These are my favorite mixing bowls. The grippy bottoms help keep them from sliding around while you’re mixing.
- Hand Mixer – As much as I love my stand mixer, I use my hand mixer way more.
- Bundt Pan – This recipe calls for a 10″/12 cup bundt pan. I am due for a new one.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTER PECAN CAKE
STEP ONE – PREP THE PAN & OVEN: Bundt cakes can sometimes stick so make sure you grease the pan well with pan release or non-stick spray. Also preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
STEP TWO – MAKE THE BATTER: To a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix for approximately 2 minutes until combined. Stir in 1 cup of chopped pecans until evenly distributed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before flipping.
STEP THREE – TOAST THE PECANS: To a medium skillet, add 1/4 cup of butter and 1 cup of chopped pecans. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the pecans are toasted.
STEP FOUR – MAKE THE GLAZE: To a medium mixing bowl, add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, melted butter. Whisk together until smooth and then pour in the toasted pecans. If glaze is too thick, stream in some water until it reaches the desired consistency.
STEP – ASSEMBLE THE CAKE: Once the cake has fully cooled, flip it over to release from the bundt pan. Place it on a cake stand (or large plate) and pour the glaze over the top. Slice & serve!
HOW MANY DOES A BUNDT CAKE SERVE
Bundt cakes are typically made in a 10″ pan (that holds 12 cups) and serve 12-16 people, depending on how generous you cut your slices.
HOW LONG SHOULD A BUNDT CAKE COOL BEFORE FLIPPING
When you remove your cake from the oven, don’t flip it out of the pan right away! Instead, let the cake cool for at least ten minutes in the pan.
HOW TO STORE IT
Store the cake covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
CAN YOU FREEZE IT
You can freeze this cake. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap (either whole or in slices) and then place in a freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
NEED MORE CAKE RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Click here for my entire collection of cake recipes.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
Butter Pecan Bundt Cake
For the Butter Pecan Cake
- 15.25 oz yellow cake mix I like Duncan Hines butter golden
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the Glaze
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- water if needed
To Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 325° and liberally grease a 10" bundt pan with butter or non-stick spray. Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, sugar, milk, and vanilla. Use a hand mixer to beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans until evenly distributed.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before flipping.
To Make the Glaze
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add ¼ cup butter and chopped pecans. Cook until the pecans are toasted, stirring often.
- In a medium bowl, add the powdered sugar, vanilla, melted butter, and water. Whisk together until smooth. Pour in the toasted pecans and stir to distribute. If too thick, thin with water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Once cake is cooled, flip it over to a cake plate or stand and pour the glaze evenly over the top.
- Slice & serve!
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.