This easy 4 ingredient apple pie dump cake is made with a boxed cake mix, apple pie filling, butter, and cinnamon. It’s a deconstructed (some might say lazy) version of a classic apple pie, including all of the traditional apple cinnamon flavors, but without the work of having to prepare a pie crust!
But this four-ingredient apple pie dump cake is the perfect recipe to whip up any time of the year because it’s so simple and is made exactly as it sounds. Dump the ingredients and bake!
First, we pour the filling into a prepared dish, sprinkle it with cinnamon, then add the cake mix topped with pats of butter and bake until the cake forms almost an apple cobbler-like crust and the filling underneath is bubbly.
However, you can use a different type of cake mix for a different flavor, if you want.
It’s the best dessert whether on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Why you’ll love this 4 Ingredient Apple Dump Cake recipe
Satisfies Your Apple Pie Craving – When the weather cools down, and apple recipes are abundant, this is one you’ll want to keep when apple pie season rolls around. It’s also a great quick and easy dessert for all kinds of occasions!
Easy Recipe – Dump cakes are one of the easiest desserts! With simple ingredients like boxed cake mix and canned apple pie filling, you really can’t go wrong. When you need a last-minute, super easy dessert for a BBQ, a potluck, or a simple weekend family dinner, apple pie dump cake is a lifesaver!
Budget-Friendly – The most expensive ingredient in this recipe is butter! You’ll probably have everything you need on hand, and a boxed cake mix and canned filling have long shelf lives so might as well stock up when you can.
Tools you’ll need
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe, why you need them, and possible substitutions. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with measurements.
- Apple Pie Filling – You’ll need two 20 ounce cans. If you prefer homemade pie filling, go ahead and use it. Just be sure it’s cooked down, thick, and not too runny.
- Cinnamon – The canned apple filling usually comes with a bit of cinnamon already in it, but I like to add just a little extra. Opt for a high quality cinnamon.
- Yellow Cake Mix – You can also use a different kind of dry cake mix to alter the flavors every time. A spice cake, carrot cake, or white cake mix will all work well.
- Unsalted Butter – Melted butter gives the dry mix some moisture and helps to turn it into a nice golden crust.
How to make an Apple Dump Cake with just FOUR Ingredients
This section shows you how to make this recipe, with process photos showing the steps to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Step One: Pour the filling into the bottom of the prepared 9×13 baking dish and spread it evenly out towards the edges. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top.
- Step Two: Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the apple pie filling and then top that with slices of butter.
- Step Three: Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is golden and the fruit is bubbling up the sides. You’ll know it’s ready when your house smells like a bakery!
What to serve it
A bowl or plate of this all by itself is delightful, but there’s something extra special about serving it with a scoop of ice cream.
You could also enjoy it with a dollop of homemade whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce!
Need more dump cake recipes? Try these:
Tips & Suggestions 🍎🍏
- Easily double the recipe or make two separate batches for more!
- Try adding raisins or walnuts to the apple pie filling layer.
- Sometimes I like to drizzle caramel sauce on top of the filling just before covering it with the mix.
- You can even add a little extra spice like nutmeg, cloves, or ground ginger if you’d like.
- If you’re not a fan of too much spice you can omit the extra cinnamon.
Do I have to refrigerate apple dump cake?
It’ll be good at room temperature for a day or so, but then you’ll want to cover it in foil or keep it stored in an airtight container and transfer it to the fridge.
This recipe serves about 16, so there’s a good chance you’ll have some left. It may even be better tomorrow!
How long will apple pie dump cake last in the fridge?
It keeps fresh for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. It is just as good served cold as it is warm, so no judgment if you find yourself going back and forth to the fridge to sneak a bite.
Can I freeze apple pie filling cake?
You can! Store it in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
How to reheat it
If you are reheating a single serving or two, your best bet is to use the microwave.
If you’re reheating larger portions, use the oven and reheat at 325 degrees until heated through.
Why is it called a dump cake?
Not the most flattering name, right? It’s named after the method!
Dump cakes are meant to be quick and easy dessert recipes that are budget-friendly and fuss-free. That’s why you dump the ingredients in and let the oven to the rest.
What is the biggest mistake to avoid when making a dump cake?
A recipe this easy is hard to mess up.
However, there is one thing that you want to avoid doing, and that is mixing the ingredients. The steps to adding the layers are done on purpose, so you want to keep it that way!
Can I use this recipe with a different kind of filling?
Dump cakes can be made with all kinds of homemade or canned fruit filling.
Stone fruits always make great dump cakes, like peaches, plums, and cherries.
You can also use pineapple, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, you name it.
Whatever homemade or canned fruit filling you have, use it to make a different cake with it every time.
Try this pumpkin pie dump cake for more fall flavors!
Apple Pie Filling Dump Cake
Need more easy cake recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of cake & pie recipes.