The meat in these slow cooker honey lime chicken tacos is tender, juicy, and full of flavor. With just 5 minutes of prep time, the crockpot does the heavy lifting, and because there are so few ingredients involved, you may already have what you need on hand! Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy a bright and zesty new taco recipe!
Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken
I don’t know who claimed Tuesday as taco night, but with the way my family and I love tacos, we might have to think about a taco Wednesday through Sunday!
Crockpot salsa chicken has always been a family favorite and a definitely go-to for weeknight meals, but sometimes it’s nice to try new flavors. Honey and lime are one of my favorite Mexican-inspired flavor combinations so I knew these tacos would be drool-worthy!
The sweetness from the honey, the zest from the lime juice, and a smoky spicy fajita mix provide so much sweet and tangy flavor in every bite.
I like to make a big batch for more than just tacos because it’s such a versatile recipe. I portion out what I’m going to use throughout the week and then freeze the rest!
Slow cooker meal ideas are always a life saver and I can’t help but toot my own horn on this one!
Why you’ll love Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken Tacos 🌮
Easy chicken tacos – The bright flavors are a little different than your regular chicken tacos which are a nice switch-up from time to time!
Flavorful chicken – There’s no need to marinate anything ahead of time, it takes minimal prep, and it’s perfect for making ahead.
Versatile – Enjoy this sweet and tangy shredded chicken as a pulled chicken sandwich, in burritos, on salads, as a topping on nachos, you name it.
Equipment you’ll need
- Slow Cooker – This is my crockpot of choice. I’ve had it for years and still recommend it.
- Lime Juicer – Makes juicing the lime easier.
- Meat Claws – These are handy for shredding chicken (or any meat) if you don’t want to use two forks.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Chicken – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are lean and become tender when slow-cooked. There’s quite a bit of meat on larger chicken breasts so you get a lot of bang for your buck, especially if you can find some on sale. If you prefer dark meat you can use skinless chicken thighs.
- Fajita Seasoning – Use a homemade blend (see below) or a premade seasoning packet. It’s up to you.
- Lime Juice – I highly recommend freshly squeezed lime juice rather than the bottle. It tastes so much better.
- Honey – Clover honey is a nice mild honey, however any honey will work. Each one has a bit of a different flavor so use your favorite.
- Chicken Stock – You’ll need some liquid to maintain moisture in the chicken and in the crockpot. The juices are what collect so much of the flavor. I have an easy homemade chicken stock perfect for this.
- Minced Garlic – An aromatic to add a depth of flavor because who doesn’t love garlic?!
- Paprika – There is paprika in fajita seasoning already, so you’re not adding too much more.
- Optional Garnishes – Lime, parsley, green onions, cotija cheese, or fresh cilantro.
How to make Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken Tacos
- Step One: Place chicken breasts into the basin of the crockpot.
- Step Two: In a small bowl, make the honey lime mixture by mixing the fajita seasoning, lime juice, honey, chicken stock, garlic, and paprika then pour it over the chicken.
- Step Three: Cover with the lid and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Step Four: Once done, remove the cooked breasts to a bowl or cutting board. Use two forks to pull apart the meat to shred it.
- Step Five: Return the meat to the juice in the crockpot and serve on flour or corn tortillas and top with your favorite toppings.
What to serve with Honey Lime Chicken Tacos
First off, let’s talk toppings! Use any of your favorite taco toppings like shredded cheese, pico de gallo, lettuce, sour cream, salsa, salsa verde, any hot sauce, guacamole, sliced red onion, sauteed bell peppers, and corn. I like to provide a variety on the table and have everyone pick and choose their own, like a taco bar!
These tacos are pretty filling all on their own. Have a couple and you’re good to go! However, if you’re looking for some sides to pair them with, especially for hungry teenagers or larger crowds, cilantro lime rice is always a hit.
To start your meal, have some slow cooker queso blanco and homemade tortilla chips!
I mean, if we’re going there, might as well whip up a pitcher of this easy tequila drink called ranch water cocktail!
Tips & Suggestions 🌮
- Use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, if preferred. It’s dark meat which only adds to the flavor and moisture.
- You can add jalapenos, poblano peppers, or red pepper flakes for a little kick!
- Fresh lime juice is recommended, but yes you can use a bottle if that’s what you have.
- Adjust the amount of garlic if desired. For a more garlicky flavor, add a couple more cloves.
- You don’t have to make tacos, try burrito bowls or nachos.
- For extra lime flavor, use the zest of the lime as well as the juice.
- Instead of fajita seasoning, sometimes I’ll use my homemade taco seasoning in its place.
- As always, cooking time will vary by slow cooker so adjust as necessary for yours.
How to reheat and store leftovers
How to store leftovers
Keep the chicken (and the juices) in an airtight container.
How long will crockpot honey lime chicken last in the fridge?
This will last you for up to 5 days in the fridge. Use it for different meals throughout the week. On a salad for lunch, or in a quesadilla for tomorrow night’s dinner!
Can I freeze it?
Absolutely! Once the chicken has completely cooled, portion it out to as much or as little as you want to use the next time. Keep it stored in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight then reheat and serve.
How to reheat honey lime chicken?
You can pop it back in the crockpot to heat through and serve right from there or you can use the microwave for smaller servings. You may need to add a bit of the flavorful broth to it to prevent it from drying out.
How to make homemade fajita seasoning?
With just a few pantry spices you can make your own and keep it stored fresh for weeks.
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Can I use frozen chicken breast?
Personally I don’t recommend it. It’s often an argument in my slow cooker group, but the official advice (from the USDA) is to thaw the meat first.
That said, plenty of people do it and say it is fine, just make sure it hits an internal temperature of 165°.
Can I make honey lime chicken in the Instant Pot?
Making it in the Instant Pot is a simple switch and great when you’re pressed for time.
Place all the ingredients in the pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Add on a few extra minutes if using frozen chicken breasts. Quickly release the pressure and shred the meat and return it to its juices.
Need more slow cooker chicken recipes? Try these:
Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken
Click here for my entire collection of slow cooker recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
I made a fun group on Facebook for sharing recipes, asking questions, and talking about food. I’d love to have you! Request to join HERE.
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Share Your Thoughts