One pot and 30 minutes are all you need for this Rotel Southwest Chicken Skillet! Big flavor without a lot of effort.
Chicken with Rotel
When I say this is a 30 minute meal, I’m not lying. Maybe 35 minutes, depending on how long it takes you to cut up your chicken, but the majority of the cook time you’re just waiting for the rice to cook.
Not only is it quick, it really is one of my favorite meals. I love the flavors and how they come together. It warms up beautifully and is great for a quick weeknight meal.
If you’d prefer beef, try this Mexican ground beef recipe.
Tools you’ll need
- Skillet with a lid – I have this one & am a fan.
- Silicone Spoons – I’ve had this set for YEARS and I love that they don’t scratch up your pans and have the little notch to hold them onto the side of the pan.
- Can Opener – I actually need a new one & you have a few cans to open in this recipe.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe, why you need them, and possible substitutions. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with measurements.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Seasonings – salt, pepper, Montreal Chicken, red pepper flakes – your choice
- Olive Oil – extra virgin
- Rice – white rice, uncooked
- Rotel – one 10 oz can of the diced tomatoes & green chiles, whichever heat level you like
- Tomato Sauce – an 8 oz can
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Sour Cream – as an optional topping
What is in a can of Rotel?
Rotel is canned tomatoes with diced green chiles. The level of heat varies based on which you choose – you can get mild, medium, hot, etc. Choose your favorite. It adds great flavor. It also makes a great dip – try this Rotel Dip!
What if I don’t have Rotel?
If you don’t have any Rotel on hand, you can substitute a can of diced tomatoes. If going this route, use red pepper flakes to add however much heat you like.
How to make Rotel Chicken & Rice Skillet
- STEP ONE: Season your chicken with salt, pepper, Montreal chicken seasoning, red pepper flakes – whatever you like.
- STEP TWO: Add some olive oil to your pan and saute the chicken until no longer pink.
- STEP THREE: Stir in uncooked rice, can of Rotel, can of tomato sauce, and water. Bring it to a boil then cover it.
- STEP FOUR: Turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes, stir so it doesn’t stick, then cook another 10 minutes.
- STEP FIVE: Once the rice is done, stir, top with shredded cheese, remove from heat, and cover to let the cheese melt.
Top with sour cream & enjoy!
Ways to customize your chicken skillet
- Add in a can of rinsed black beans at the same time as you add the rice to add more protein. Or, skip the chicken altogether and use black beans instead.
- Stir in some corn at the end (either frozen or canned) before you top with shredded cheese.
- Once done, top with sour cream, green onions, or more shredded cheese.
- Sensitive to spice? Either opt for “mild” Rotel or just use diced tomatoes instead.
Need more skillet meals? Try these:
- Chicken & Broccoli Skillet
- Chicken Spinach & Orzo Skillet
- Mexican Turkey Veggie Skillet Lasagna
- One Skillet Beef & Veggie Pasta
- One Pot Mexican Skillet Bake
Originally published September 26, 2013