These Christmas Jello Shots are made with simple ingredients and will put the holiday spirit into your holiday season. Red and green jello are layered together then topped with whipped cream and festive sprinkles. Perfect for holiday parties!
Christmas Jell-O Shots
Oh and Christmas cookies. Can’t forget those.
This Christmas jello shot recipe is the perfect addition to your Christmas cocktails lineup.
You can make them with or without the vodka so all your guests can enjoy them at your Christmas gatherings.
Why you’ll love these simple red & green jello shots
Easy to make – You have to allow 2-3 hours for them to set up, but the actual process of making them is simple and you only need four ingredients!
Fun for the whole family – Make a non-alcoholic version so the younger guests can enjoy the fun treat at Christmas parties.
Fun Topping Options – You could add fresh strawberries, a maraschino cherry, or even crushed candy canes sprinkled on top of the whipped cream.
Equipment you’ll need
- Disposable Cups – 1 oz or 2 oz plastic cups with lids are easiest.
- Baking Sheet – Either a lipped baking sheet or a tray will be helpful for moving the shots in and out of the fridge while the layers are setting.
- Measuring Cup – I like to use a large measuring cup with a spout to whisk up the jello mixture.
- Small Saucepan – To boil the water.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- RED JELL-O – I use cranberry jello but you can use any of the red flavors (cherry, raspberry, strawberry)
- GREEN JELL-O – One box of lime jello (or another green flavor – is there a green apple?)
- WATER – You’ll need both boiling water and cold water to make the jello mixture.
- VODKA – A cup of plain vodka will be used. Vodka comes in MANY flavors – plain works well to not compete with the flavor of the jello, but vanilla vodka may work.
- TOPPINGS – Whipped cream and Christmas sprinkles (these are super cute!).
How to make fun Christmas Jello Shots
- STEP ONE: Make the red layer. In a large measuring cup (or mixing bowl with a spout), add 1 cup of boiling water and the cranberry jello. Whisk until dissolved and then add in 1/2 cup vodka and 1/2 cup cold water and whisk again. Pour evenly into small plastic shot glasses (1 oz shown) that have been set onto a tray or lipped baking sheet, filling approximately 1/4 to 1/2 way up. Place the entire tray into the fridge for approximately 30 minutes or until red layer is firm.
- STEP TWO: Make the green layer. In a large measuring cup (or mixing bowl with spout), add 1 cup of boiling water and the lime jello and whisk until dissolved. Add in 1/2 cup vodka and 1/2 cup cold water and whisk again. Let the mixture cool slightly and then pour the rest of the way on top of the set red layer. Place the tray back into the fridge for approximately 2 hours to fully set.
- STEP THREE: Garnish and serve. Once fully set, garnish & serve!
What to serve with Christmas jello shots
While you’re making jello, try some jello roll ups, too!
Tips & Suggestions 🎄
- Allow plenty of time for the layers to fully set.
- Make a big batch so you don’t run out – this recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled.
- Use plastic cups with lids so you can easily store and transport them.
- Some people prefer the 2 ounce cups for jello shots and those work well too, you just will get less shots out of each batch.
- These can also be made without the vodka, just substitute the vodka for water.
How to store them
You will want to store these easy jello shots in the fridge. If they get too warm, they can melt.
How long will jello shots last in the fridge?
5-7 days. Don’t garnish until you’re ready to serve them.
Can I freeze jello shots?
Nope. As they become frozen it will affect the texture of the jello dramatically so it will become a gooey texture.
Can jello shots be made ahead of time?
You can definitely make them ahead of time but they’re best enjoyed within 3-5 days so don’t make them too far in advance.
Vodka. Vodka is the most neutral but different liquors like gin, whiskey, white rum, and tequila could also be used. Since it’s Christmas time, peppermint schnapps might be good.
You really want a plain vodka so it doesn’t interfere with the jello flavors. Grey Goose, Absolut, or Tito’s are good choices.
Jello shots are not like a standard alcoholic shot – they have far less alcohol content so don’t expect them to get you drunk, but you should still enjoy responsibly.
Cranberry jello is seasonal. If you can’t find it, any “red” jello will work (strawberry, cherry, raspberry, etc.).
More festive shots
More Traditional Shots Ideas
Click here for my entire collection of drink recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: