Air Fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls are what happen when buffalo chicken dip and egg rolls have a baby! Such a fun way to enjoy your favorite buffalo chicken flavors! Golden and crispy on the outside with a creamy, cheesy buffalo chicken filling that comes together in 30 minutes without the need for any deep frying!
If you’ve been around for a while, you’ll know how much I love Buffalo chicken anything! From my very popular buffalo chicken dip to Buffalo chicken wraps to Buffalo chicken pizza, so I thought why not put a little twist on everyone’s favorite egg roll appetizers with even more of that tangy zesty flavor we all love?!
They’re quick to make using just a few simple ingredients and plenty of shortcuts along the way when needed!
Now, I make these for game day parties, potlucks, and even as dinner. Everyone loves eating finger foods, especially when there’s a delicious dipping sauce involved!
Pair it with ranch or blue cheese dressing for a cool creamy finish to these flavorful egg rolls and watch how quickly they disappear!
Why you’ll love Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
So easy to make – With just a few ingredients, and simple step-by-step instructions on how to roll egg rolls, these couldn’t be easier to make. Easy cleanup with no grease splatter!
Nice and light – Egg roll wrappers are easy to use, hold together nicely in the air fryer, and come out with a beautiful golden crispy shell. So much lighter and healthier than using a deep fryer full of oil.
Double the recipe – Easily make as many as you need when serving a large crowd. Double or triple the recipe!
Tools you’ll need
- Air fryer – This is the one that I use. As long as it’s at least 4 quarts to fit 8 rolls in 2 batches.
- Air fryer liners – As if it wasn’t already a breeze to clean up, these liners make it even easier.
- Microwave safe bowl – Always comes in handy when you need a shortcut to heat basically anything.
- Olive oil mister – A neat little gadget that lets you add your favorite cooking oil to it and turns it into a spray!
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- CHICKEN BREAST – Use boneless skinless chicken breast. It’s easiest to shred and you’ll get more meat with every piece.
- OLIVE OIL – There are some recipes in the Air Fryer that do require a bit of oil. This is to help with a crispy golden brown outside. I choose to use olive oil because it’s a healthy fat and will still keep it nice and light. You can use whatever oil you prefer. Cooking spray works too.
- CREAM CHEESE – Use cream cheese from a block, the container of spreadable cream cheese contains too much water. Melt it so that it is easily spreadable and mixes well with the cheese and chicken.
- HOT SAUCE – Your favorite hot sauce will work. Frank’s is probably the most well-known, but this flexible recipe works with all kinds of different sauces.
- CHEESE – Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese. If you can, grate it yourself from a block of cheese rather than using the pre-shredded kind that doesn’t melt as nicely.
- EGG ROLL WRAPPERS – You’ll need about 8-10. More if you plan on doubling the recipe. You can find these in your local grocery store, either in the refrigerated produce section or sometimes in an Asian food aisle.
How to make Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- STEP ONE: Cook your chicken breasts however you like. Pan-seared, Instant Pot, boiled, etc. If you’re using leftover cooked chicken, you’re ahead of the game!
- STEP TWO: While the chicken is cooking, melt the cream cheese in a large microwave-safe bowl. Then, whisk in the hot sauce to blend. When the chicken is done cooking, shred it or cut it and add it to the cream cheese mixture and mix to thoroughly coat.
- STEP THREE: Working with one egg roll at a time, place each wrapper diagonally, with a point facing towards you. Lay it on a flat surface or parchment paper for easy cleanup. Add 1/4 of the mixture to the bottom of the wrapper and top with a sprinkle of cheese.
- STEP FOUR: Fold the wrapper by taking the bottom point (the one closest to you) and folding it up over the chicken. Take the sides and fold those in. Grab the bottom of the roll and roll it up until the end. Do this with remaining wrappers.
- STEP FIVE: You’ll need to work in batches because you want the heat to be able to circulate each one so it crisps up nicely. You don’t want a soggy roll! Place 6 in at a time, seam side down. Spray or brush with olive oil and cook at 260 degrees for 6 minutes.
- STEP SIX: Flip each one and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes until crispy on all sides. Remove and cook the remainder of the egg rolls. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing, carrots, and celery sticks, and a garnish of fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
What to serve with Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
When hosting a holiday party or game day party, I usually put out a spread! I’ll serve these buffalo chicken egg rolls with slow cooker bacon wrapped little smokies and air fryer mozzarella sticks for a variety of finger foods!
If you need more buffalo flavor, try some buffalo chicken fries!
Nothing goes better with Buffalo sauce than a creamy ranch dressing made with Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix or blue cheese dressing. Or both! A fresh veggie platter is also great with a couple of homemade dips for chips, crackers, and veggies.
- Cook your chicken accordingly. How quickly it cooks will depend on the thickness of the cut of meat. To check for doneness, use a thermometer and make sure its internal temperature is 165 degrees. If no thermometer, just make sure it’s no longer pink in the middle.
- If using leftover chicken, just cut it up or shred it and warm it in a skillet before adding it to the sauce.
- Light cream cheese works too.
- Swap the Buffalo sauce with BBQ sauce for a variation.
- When serving them to kids, allow them to cool a bit first. The insides will be hot just out of the Air Fryer!
- Serve with individual dipping cups that way there’s no double dipping.
- If you happen to have leftover buffalo chicken dip, you can skip the other steps and just wrap that up and air fry the egg rolls!
How to reheat and store Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
How to store leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container. They will get soggy over time, so they are best eaten the same day they are made.
You can also freeze leftover wrappers for up to 6 months. Just make sure they’re sealed and wrapped to avoid freezer burn.
How long with Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls last in the fridge?
They’ll stay fresh for up to 2 days in the fridge.
Can I freeze Air Fryer Egg Rolls?
Yes, you can freeze them. I suggest a flash freeze at first. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze them for a few hours. Once they are solid, transfer them to a freezer-friendly bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat Buffalo Egg Rolls
Reheat in the air fryer at a low temperature until hot. Reheat straight from frozen for a few extra minutes.
Can I make these in the oven?
You can, which is especially helpful if you want to bake a larger batch at once. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving space in between each one. Spray or brush with oil and bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
Are these the same as traditional egg rolls?
Nope! Chinese egg rolls are traditionally filled with savory ingredients which could include meat, seafood, or just veggies. Cabbage or coleslaw is used for freshness and crunch. While the filling is different as are the dipping sauces we use for this recipe, the idea is the same. A delicious roll with a crispy outer shell that we can’t get enough of!
How do I avoid soggy homemade egg rolls?
There are a few extra tips you can try if you’re worried about soggy egg rolls. Preheating the air fryer can help, that way they are not sitting for extra time while it heats up. Be careful not to overfill your egg rolls, and be sure not to use spreadable cream cheese as it contains more water. Last, it only needs a brush of oil, not too much.
I’ve never had a problem following this recipe, so I don’t think you will either!
Need more Buffalo Chicken recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of easy appetizer recipes.