Iconic Big Mac flavors wrapped in crispy egg roll wrappers – these Big Mac egg rolls are easy to make in your air fryer and are the perfect lunch, dinner, or appetizer without the extra calories!
Cheeseburger Egg Rolls (a Big Mac Copycat)
When you’re craving a Big Mac but you’re not craving the extra grease and calories, these easy cheeseburger egg rolls are going to be your new best friend.
They really do taste just like the well known burger complete with juicy beef, melty cheese, and pickles, and it even comes with a homemade special sauce!
I use my air fryer for basically everything lately, from crispy mozzarella sticks to filling sticky chicken thighs and these egg rolls are joining my collection alongside Thanksgiving egg rolls and Buffalo chicken egg rolls.
Why you’ll love Big Mac Egg Rolls
Kid-friendly – Kids love the flavors of a Big Mac in these egg rolls and you’ll love that the wrappers keep the mess (mostly) contained.
Copycat Recipe – Tastes just like the burger from McDonald’s, especially if you use the dipping sauce.
Healthier – We all know the ridiculous amounts of preservatives, sodium, sugars, and unhealthy fats that fast food burgers contain but these egg rolls are made with simple ingredients and without deep frying.
Easy To Make Ahead – Make them once and have them for lunch throughout the week.
Perfect Appetizer – Because they’re handheld and easy to eat, they’re perfect for serving as an appetizer or for a game day gathering.
Equipment you’ll need
- Air Fryer
- Medium Skillet
- Meat Chopper
- Cookie Scoop – to easily portion the meat mixture into the egg roll wrappers.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe, why you need them, and possible substitutions. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with measurements.
- Ground Sirloin – Use high-quality ground beef if you can. You also want to use extra lean ground beef so that it is less greasy. I use a 90/10 and sometimes even 91/9.
- Onion – Dice a white onion into tiny pieces so they mix in with the beef really well.
- Salt and Pepper – You only need a small amount to enhance all the other flavors.
- Mustard – This is part of what makes the filling taste like a Big Mac.
- Ketchup – And here’s the other part! Both give it that sweet and tangy combination.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Just a little bit will add the perfect spice and saltiness.
- Egg Roll Wrappers – Not to be confused with spring roll wrappers. When baked, egg rolls aren’t flaky and are not as thin either. They’ll be golden on the outside with a slight chew once you bite into them.
- Cheese – American cheese will melt easier and make the filling even more gooey.
- Dill Pickles – What’s a Big Mac without pickles?!
- Spray – Although the air fryer doesn’t use oil, you will need either olive oil or avocado non-stick spray. It will also help with getting the outside crispy and golden.
- Sesame Seeds – You’ll sprinkle sesame seeds on the egg rolls to mimic a sesame seed bun. ¨
- Dipping Sauce – Mix mayonnaise, yellow mustard, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, and paprika for an easy Big Mac sauce.
How to make Big Mac Egg Rolls
This section shows you how to make this recipe, with process photos showing the steps to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Step One: Brown the meat in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and break apart the meat as it cooks. Once no longer pink, remove the skillet from the heat and drain any grease, if necessary.
- Step Two: Stir in the ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce until combined. Allow that to sit and cool for about 5 minutes.
- Step Three: Working one at a time, lay an egg roll wrapper into a diamond shape on a clean surface and place a small bowl of water nearby. Lay a slice of cheese in the center of the egg roll wrapper and top that with about 2 tablespoons of the beef mixture. Sprinkle some of the chopped pickles on top.
- Step Four: Dip a finger into the water and wet the sides of the egg roll wrapper. Fold the bottom of the diamond up and over the meat mixture, tuck in both sides and roll up tightly. It should be folded like an envelope. The water will make the edges hold like glue. Place egg rolls seam side down on a plate as you assemble the rest of them.
- Step Five: Once it is rolled tightly, go ahead and work on the next one. Place them all seam-side down in the air fryer basket. Work in batches as you’ll only have room for 4-5 egg rolls at a time. Do not overcrowd them or they won’t crisp up. Spray them with avocado oil and cook for 6 minutes at 390° F, then flip, spray with oil, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cook for another 4 minutes.
- Step Six: Whisk the dipping sauce ingredients together in a small bowl, and serve on the side. Enjoy!
What to serve with Big Mac Egg Rolls
Since these egg rolls taste just like the popular hamburger, I suggest serving them with your favorite fast food sides. Or at least a healthier version of them!
If you want to turn these egg rolls into a filling meal, serve them with some zesty stovetop pepper jack mac and cheese. It’s extra cheesy!
Or serve them as an appetizer with some buffalo chicken pinwheels. You can’t go wrong!
Tips & Suggestions 🍔
- For a less processed cheese, skip the American cheese slices and use cheddar cheese instead.
- You can use dried onion in place of raw diced onion if preferred.
- I use a 5.8-quart air fryer and fit 5-6 egg rolls per batch. As long as you’re not overcrowding them, fit as many as you can for the size of your air fryer.
- I use a medium cookie scoop to portion the ground sirloin mixture onto the wrappers.
- To add even more flavor and spice to the filling, add chopped cooked bacon, and diced jalapenos, or sprinkle some red pepper flakes into the filling.
How to reheat and store Big Mac Egg Rolls
How to store leftovers
Store leftovers of this Big Mac egg roll air fryer recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Keep them in a single layer so they don’t stick together.
How long will cheeseburger egg rolls last in the fridge?
These will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about three days.
Can I freeze homemade egg rolls?
Yes, you can freeze the egg rolls, too. Wrap each one in parchment paper or plastic wrap and place them in a freezer bag. They’ll be good for up to 2 months.
How to reheat them
It’s best to reheat the egg rolls in the air fryer so that they get a bit of their crispness back.
If you prefer to deep fry them, no judgment here, I get it!
Heat 1” of vegetable oil or canola oil in a deep pot skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the egg rolls, without overcrowding the pan. Fry for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Yes, you can use your favorite type of meat. Try this with ground pork, chicken, or turkey. I mean, it won’t be a classic Big Mac anymore, but we’re all about the twists around here anyway!
Each one has approximately 271 calories. A standard Big Mac has 570 calories…just saying.
Need more easy air fryer recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of air fryer recipes.