Homemade Blackberry Lemonade is really easy to make and perfect for warm weather. Made with fresh berries, lemon juice, and a blackberry simple syrup, this easy lemonade recipe is refreshing, pretty, and perfect for the whole family!
Lemonade with Blackberries
Blackberry Lemonade is an eye catching, refreshing drink that is perfect to enjoy all spring and summer long. Make a half gallon of this fancy (looking) lemonade in no time using 4 simple ingredients.
I use fresh blackberries when they’re in season, but frozen berries are usually frozen at the peak of freshness so you get great quality while being really affordable. If you have extra, give my blackberry crumble a try, too.
The bulk of the prep time is going to be spent squeezing the lemons so get the family involved to speed up the process.
While you’re a drink making mood, also try my classic Homemade Lemonade or Starbucks Copycat Passion Fruit Lemonade. Both are great to serve when you have company.
Why You’ll Love Blackberry Lemonade
- Crowd Pleaser – This easy lemonade is just the right amount of fruity sweet and tart with the perfect blend of blackberries and lemon.
- Simple Recipe– Only uses 4 simple ingredients, nothing crazy or hard to find in the store.
- It’s fast – You can make a half gallon in about 10 minutes. The most time consuming part is squeezing the lemons!
- Sugar Control – The beauty of homemade lemonade is that you can easily adjust the amount of sugar to make it as sweet (or not) as you prefer. Depending on how sweet your berries are, you can adjust as needed.
Equipment you’ll need:
- Pitcher – A classic glass pitcher is easy or a large carafe. If you’re serving at an event, a dispenser with a spout is handy.
- Lemon Squeezer – You’re going to have a lot of lemons to squeeze, this tool makes it easier.
- Strainer – For separating the seeds from the blackberry juice while making the blackberry simple syrup.
- Wooden Spoon – Everything just feels more official with a wooden spoon, doesn’t it?
Ingredients for Lemonade with Blackberries
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
For The Blackberry Simple Syrup Recipe
- BLACKBERRIES – I use fresh but frozen blackberries are really affordable and generally great quality.
- SUGAR – I’ve only tested this with granulated white sugar. I haven’t tried the sugar replacements, but I’m sure they would work fine.
For The Lemonade
In addition to the blackberry simple syrup, you’ll need:
- LEMONS – Fresh lemons work best but bottled lemon juice can be used in a pinch.
- ICE – Lots of ice!
How to make Blackberry Lemonade
STEP ONE: First, start by making the blackberry simple syrup. by adding water, blackberries and sugar to a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Don’t let it boil!
Once it is dissolved, use a potato masher to smash the berries in the pan and then place a strainer over a bowl and press the mixture through to catch all the seeds. Transfer the syrup to a heat safe container and move to the fridge while you squeeze the lemons.
STEP TWO: Next, start squeezing! You’ll need 1 cup of lemon juice, which will probably be anywhere from 4-9 lemons depending on their size.
STEP THREE: Finally, put it altogether. To a large pitcher, add the simple syrup, lemon juice, water, and ice. Stir and serve!
What tastes good with lemonade?
With this delicious lemonade recipe, it’s more like what can’t you serve it with. It goes with so many things and compliments so many meals.
If you’re looking for a light lunch, try a veggie side salad or a southwest fiesta salad.
It also pairs well with casseroles and slow cooker meals like crockpot lemon chicken. Or even at breakfast with some pancakes or waffles! They compliment each other really well.
- You can use fresh or frozen fruit in this lemonade recipe.
- Adjust the sweetness level by using different amounts of sugar, or trade it out altogether for a sweetener alternative like honey, agave, or even a replacement like Stevia or monk fruit.
- Feel free to add in any other fruits that you may like in this drink. The method is the same for creating the simply syrup with other berries like strawberries or raspberries.
How long does fresh lemonade last?
Wondering how long Blackberry Lemonade will last in the fridge? This drink recipe should be stored in a pitcher in the refrigerator for 7-8 days. Make sure to stir it each time before pouring.
How many lemons for a cup of lemon juice?
This will depend on the size of your lemons. Generally, it takes about 4-6 lemons squeezed to get a cup of lemon juice.
How many cups are in half a gallon?
There are 8 cups in a half gallon, which is what this recipe makes.
Can I freeze blackberry lemonade?
Freezing this homemade drink recipe is totally possible and would make for a tasty slushie when it’s super hot out.
You can also use this recipe to make popsicles for the kids on hot summer days. Or just make a big batch now and save it for later.
To thaw, simply remove from freezer, let thaw (either in the fridge or on the counter) and stir before serving.
What alcohol should I mix with lemonade?
Want an adult version? This lemonade mixes well with vodka or gin for a cocktail.
Need more drink recipes? Try these:
Cranberry Orange Cider
Ranch Water Cocktail
Skinny Pineapple Coconut Cocktail
Click here for my entire collection of drink recipes.
Share Your Thoughts