One of my favorite parts of fall is going to the cider mill. I feel sorry for you if you don’t have them in your part of the world. You get warm cinnamon-sugar donuts and cider slushes. I don’t even like cider, but cider slushes? All day. Actually, I take that back, over the weekend we got some Honey Crisp Cider from Trader Joe’s and made slushes at home and they were delicious.
So, these apple donut mini muffins. They’re really good. They have the consistency of a cake donut but they’re little mini muffins – something like a donut hole.
Perfect for little fingers, if you have kids, or perfect to have, like 5, if you’re a grown up.
I won’t judge you.
I took a bite of one as I was taking their picture, because they’re irresistible, then decided it looked cute with a bite taken out so I took its picture.
- For the muffins
- 1½ cups flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter, cubed into small pieces, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup grated apple (I used a Gala)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon milk (I used 2%)
- For the cinnamon/sugar coating
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375 and lightly spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray (I use coconut oil spray). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk together. Cut in the butter until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, add the egg, milk, and grated apple and whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together.
- Use a cookie scoop (or a spoon, but the cookie scoop makes it so easy) to evenly fill all 24 wells of the mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until just golden.
- While they’re baking, in a small microwave safe bowl, melt your butter.
- In another small bowl, add the cinnamon and sugar and mix together.
- Once the muffins are done and slightly cooled, dip each one first into the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture, fully coating each.
Things you may need…
Mini Muffin Pan
Small cookie scoop