Air fried Sticky Chicken makes a quick and easy dinner. Perfectly marinated and cooked to perfection, this crispy, sweet, tender & juicy chicken recipe is ready in no time.
Sticky Chicken Thighs
Though I usually opt for chicken breasts, chicken thighs have their place. Thighs have higher fat content which makes them more flavorful and they hold moisture better.
Using the air fryer ensures tender and juicy thighs that have a sticky and flavorful glaze.
You can also try brined chicken thighs.
As a bonus, this chicken can easily be keto-friendly.
If you want to keep it keto, use Swerve or your favorite brown sugar substitute. If you’re not counting carbs, you can use regular brown sugar.
Another bonus, thighs usually cost less than chicken breasts.
Tools you’ll need
- Air Fryer – Of course you need an air fryer. I have this one and highly recommend it.
- Air Fryer Rack – This air fryer rack should be universal, but make sure the dimensions fit in your basket.
- Air Fryer Liners – Parchment paper liners help with clean up, especially with sticky sauce, just make sure you get the right size/shape for your air fryer.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Chicken Thighs – Boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Soy Sauce – You can use low sodium.
- Brown Sugar – If you’re watching carbs, you can use Swerve Brown Sugar or your favorite brown sugar substitute. If you’re not, use regular brown sugar.
- Ginger Paste
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Green Onions – optional, for garnish.
- Sesame Seeds – also optional, for garnish.
How to make Sticky Chicken in the air fryer
- STEP ONE: Whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar substitute, ginger paste, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- STEP TWO: Pour the marinade into a large zip top bag, add the chicken, and shake to coat. Put it in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour, but up to overnight.
- STEP THREE: When you’re ready to cook the chicken, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees. Place the chicken onto a rack in the air fryer, making sure to not let the chicken overlap, and cook for 20-25 minutes until nicely browned and cooked through.
- STEP FOUR: Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
How to know when the chicken is done
The best way to ensure that your chicken is fully cooked is by using a meat thermometer. You want to ensure each piece of the meat reaches 165°F internal temperature.
If you’re using bone-in thighs, make sure that when you stick the probe in that you do not touch the bone. This can raise the temperature and give you a false reading.
What to serve it with
Some easy side dishes that pair nicely with this chicken are cauliflower rice, mashed cauliflower, roasted veggies or any other low carb side dish.
I love pairing it with rice as it soaks up some of the glaze on the chicken for added flavor.
Trader Joe’s makes a great frozen cauliflower rice that I always keep on hand.
If you are not needing it to be low carb, you could do regular rice or mashed potatoes.
How to store leftovers
If you have leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
The chicken will stay good in the fridge for up to three days. After that, you will want to toss it out.
To reheat you can warm in the microwave for a quick reheat. Or cover the chicken and heat in the oven until the chicken is warmed through.
Need more chicken dinner ideas?
- Chicken & Broccoli
- Bourbon Chicken
- Chicken in White Wine Sauce
- Instant Pot Chicken Lo Mein
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
Click here to view my entire collection of chicken recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: