This Better Than Sex Cake is as good as it sounds. A moist chocolate poke cake filled with sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce with a topping of Cool Whip and chopped Heath candy! If you are looking for the best and easiest chocolate cake recipe you’ll ever try, you have come to the right place.
Take your love of chocolate to a whole new level with this cake that really is better than…well, you get the idea!
Better than Anything Cake
Better Than Sex Cake is a G-rated recipe with an R-rated name! Of course, if you’ve got kids around feel free to call it by its other name, Better than Anything Cake.
If you’ve never tried this cake before you’re in for something special. This decadent yet simple recipe is a fast and delicious way to make a rich, chocolatey dessert that will leave everyone wanting more.
It’s made with a chocolate poke cake infused with sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce making it ultra-moist and indulgent. Then, it’s topped with whipped topping and chocolate and toffee bits, which is why it lives up to its name and then some. It really is better than anything!
Why you’ll love Better Than Sex Cake
Quick and Easy – With just 10 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes in the oven, this cake takes longer to chill than anything else. It’s such a simple way to make an elevated chocolate cake with so little effort.
Great for Any Occasion – Whether you make this for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, a Birthday, or, any day, Better Than Anything Cake is the perfect dessert no matter the occasion.
Simple Ingredients – Homemade but not from scratch is sometimes a lifesaver! Part of what makes this delicious chocolate cake recipe so easy is the use of store-bought ingredients. Who doesn’t love fast, easy, convenient, and sinfully delicious?!
Equipment you’ll need
- 9×13 Baking Dish – I love that this has a cover so you can store leftovers.
- Hand Mixer – As much as I love my stand mixer, I use my hand mixer even more.
- Wooden Spoon – Not only to stir things, but in this case, you’ll need the end of the spoon to poke holes in your cake.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe, why you need them, and possible substitutions. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with measurements.
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix – Plus ingredients listed on the box. Really, any chocolate cake mix will do.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Not to be confused with evaporated milk.
- Caramel Sauce – Use your favorite, I like Sanders.
- Frozen Whipped Topping – Cool Whip, but you’ll need to thaw it. I also have a great homemade whipped topping perfect for this.
- Toffee and Chocolate Bits – I use Heath brand.
How to make Better Than Sex Cake
This section shows you how to make this recipe, with process photos showing the steps to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Step One: Follow instructions on the boxed mix and bake as directed. Once the cake is out of the oven, allow it to cool slightly.
- Step Two: Use the end of a wooden spoon (or a fork) to poke holes all over it, making sure you get most of the way through but not to the very bottom and that the holes are evenly dispersed.
- Step Three: Pour sweetened condensed milk over the entire surface, making sure to get it into the holes that way the cake absorbs all of that sweetness. Tap the pan a bit to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Step Four: Using the caramel sauce, follow the same step, also making sure to get in the holes.
- Step Five: Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to give the caramel and condensed milk time to soak into the cake. Once it has set, spread the whipped topping over top and finish with a sprinkle of chocolate and toffee bits.
Slice and serve. Just try not to eat it all yourself!
What to Serve with Better Than Sex Cake
Serve this Better Than Anything Cake after a dinner of Zucchini Taco Boats. Because, BALANCE. :p
But really, you could also pair it with a scoop of ice cream too! Wash it down with a cold glass of milk or, if you’re like me and have zero chill when it comes to chocolate, have it with some hot chocolate!
Tips & Suggestions
- The reason you don’t want holes all the way through to the bottom is that it would run right through and settle at the bottom of your pan.
- As mentioned above, any chocolate cake mix will do. If you have a homemade recipe you would like to use, that would be great!
- If you’re not a fan of caramel sauce, or you just need more chocolate in your life, use chocolate syrup or chocolate sauce instead.
- Health toffee bits come already chopped, but if you have the whole bars, go ahead and chop them yourself with a knife. For my Canadian friends, Skor bits are what you’d be looking for. Same idea!
How to store Better Than Sex Cake
How to store leftovers
If by chance you happen to have leftovers, it will need to be put back in the fridge just due to the whipped topping.
How long will Better than Sex Cake last in the fridge?
It will keep fresh in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
How to reheat it
This cake is served best cold or at room temperature so the beauty of it is you never need to reheat it.
Yes, you can use the whole can of sweetened condensed milk and up to 12 oz of caramel sauce. That should do it!
This particular recipe serves 12. If you are serving it for a small gathering, chances are you’ll be lucky enough to have some again the next day.
If you are serving more, you could potentially get away with serving a few more people by cutting them into smaller pieces.
Certainly. Once it’s in the fridge chilling, you can leave it for longer than 2 hours and up to 24 hours. Make it the day before, then add your whipped topping when you’re ready to serve.
When covered in plastic wrap and transferred to a freezer bag or freezer-safe container, it can stay frozen for up to 3 months! Thaw in the fridge overnight and enjoy a slice or two all over again.
If you know ahead of time that you’ll be freezing this cake, I suggest doing so before adding any toppings.
Need more cake recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of Cake Recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: