Chocolate lovers, this one is for you! Every inch of this triple chocolate cheesecake is filled with chocolatey goodness, including an Oreo crust. The entire cheesecake is prepared and baked in just over 1 hour with no water bath needed!
Chocolate Cheesecake with Oreo Crust
Sometimes you’re just in the mood to eat all the chocolate! And when that big of a craving hits you, this is the recipe you need. This rich, fudgy cheesecake is topped with chocolate ganache and sits on an Oreo crust. Then it’s all topped with chocolate whipped cream! It’s richer than brownies, chocolate chip cheesecake, and no-bake chocolate lush, but just as easy to make!
My favorite thing about this chocolate cheesecake is that every single layer is completely homemade. You’ll taste the difference! It’s just as delightful as a piece of vintage chocolate fudge pie – but with the creamy texture of cheesecake.
This is the perfect dessert to make if you need to feed a large family. It’s so rich that you can get away with cutting it up into 16 small pieces. Or, be generous and serve 8 large pieces. Either way, it’s about to be the star of the dessert table.
Why you’ll love Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
Rich Flavor- From the Oreo crust to the homemade chocolate whipped cream, this triple chocolate cheesecake is the epitome of decadence!
Homemade – Every single step is homemade, which means ever layer is made with extra love. Despite this, it’s still so easy to make!
Party-Ready – From the shiny ganache to the beautiful chocolate whipped cream, this triple chocolate cheesecake shows off really well.
Equipment you’ll need
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe, why you need them, and possible substitutions. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with measurements.
- Oreo Cookies – No need to remove the filling. It helps to sweeten the crust without added sugar.
- Butter – Melt the butter. This is used to bring the cookie crumbs together. Once solidified at room temperature, it helps to bind the crust.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – We’re using melted chocolate chips for the chocolate in the cheesecake filling as well as the ganache on top. Semi-sweet is just sweet enough!
- Cream Cheese – Use full-fat cream cheese and make sure it’s softened before you mix it. Bring it out to room temperature for 30 minutes before you begin.
- Granulated Sugar – This sweetens the cheesecake perfectly.
- Heavy Cream – Use full-fat heavy cream, not milk or half and half for the richest consistency. You want the fat to hold up in the filling. Used in both the filling and the ganache.
- Sour Cream – Sour cream is lighter than cream (which is pretty thick) so it helps to balance out the consistency. Making it a bit lighter, while keeping that slight tangy flavor.
- Eggs – Binds a baked cheesecake.
- Vanilla Extract – This gives the cheesecake a warm flavor that enhances the overall taste of the chocolate cheesecake.
- Chocolate Whipped Cream – Heavy cream, powdered sugar, and unsweetened cocoa powder.
How to make Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
This section shows you how to make this recipe, with process photos showing the steps to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Step One: Pulse the Oreo cookies and butter to fine crumbs that should feel like wet sand. Press them into a prepared springform pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup for an even layer, allowing the crust to come up the sides of the pan about 1.5”. Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Step Two: Melt chocolate chips in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until smooth. Cool slightly. Then, beat the sugar and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Add in the heavy cream, sour cream, and melted chocolate. Beat to combine. Finally, add the eggs and vanilla and beat on low to combine.
- Step Three: Pour the filling over baked and cooled crust. Bake for 55 minutes until the center is mostly set (slightly jiggly). Cool on the counter for 1 hour and then transfer to the fridge to continue setting.
- Step Four: Microwave the chocolate chips and heavy cream in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until smooth. Pour the ganache over the chilled cheesecake, using a spatula to ensure a smooth even layer across the cheesecake. Return it to the fridge to continue chilling for at least another 2 hours.
- Step Five: Add heavy cream, cocoa powder and sugar to a cold mixing bowl. Use chilled beaters to mix on medium-high until stiff peaks form (about 8 or 9 minutes). Place the whipped cream into a piping bag with your favorite tip and pipe dollops of chocolate whipped cream overtop your chocolate cheesecake!
What to serve with Chocolate Cheesecake
This is the perfect cheesecake to serve for a special occasion or celebration. Since it’s so beautiful, it automatically dresses up any dessert table.
If you want to shake up the flavors, make a chocolate chip cheesecake. It’s not as rich but just as tasty.
Tips & Suggestions
Use a chilled bowl and beaters to whip the heavy cream. They should be in the freezer for about 15 minutes first so that way the cream whips up even faster and hold its structure.
Don’t open the door while it’s baking! That’s a fast way to cause the cheesecake to crack. However, because we are using a chocolate ganache topping, it’s not the end of the world.
To check for doneness, the edges should be set, but the center will still be a bit jiggly. That’s ok as it will continue to set out of the oven.
Once it’s out, do not cover it right away. Let it sit and cool on the counter first. You don’t want to trap any heat which will cause the cheesecake to be too moist.
How to store Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
How to store leftovers
Leftover cheesecake should be stored, covered, in the fridge.
How long will homemade chocolate cheesecake last in the fridge?
Homemade cheesecake usually keeps for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Can I freeze baked cheesecake?
Yes, cheesecake freezes well. Freeze the entire cheesecake or individual slices by wrapping them in plastic wrap and then carefully placing them in a freezer bag. They’ll keep up to 2 months in the freezer when stored properly.
Allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight, or at room temperature for a couple of hours.
There are a few ways to help avoid this. The first is to ensure all your ingredients are starting at room temperature. Bring the eggs, cream cheese, and sour cream out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you begin.
You also don’t want to overmix, just mix until combined. Otherwise too many air bubbles in the batter will cause it to crack.
Last, be patient! Don’t open the door while the chocolate cheesecake is baking. The draft from the open oven door will cause a temperature change which also creates cracks.
Yes, feel free to make it without a springform pan. If you don’t have one, line a cake pan, or pie plate, with parchment paper or foil and it should work just fine.
If you overmix your cheesecake batter, you’ll incorporate too much air, which will make the cheesecake rise too much and then collapse. Cracks also form when the cheesecake gets too dry.
Need more cheesecake recipes? Try these:
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownie Bars
- Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake
- Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Bites
- Mini Cheesecakes
- Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Cheesecake
Click here for my entire collection of dessert recipes.