Chocolate Glazed Baked Cake Donuts covered in sprinkles. Homemade donuts are probably easier to make than you think and you can save a trip to the donut shop!
CHOCOLATE GLAZED BAKED CAKE DONUTS
I actually first made and shared these chocolate glazed donuts on Amanda’s Cookin’ but they’re so pretty (& good!) I wanted to share them here, too. They’re so easy to make that I’ve already made a few batches.
I like fried donuts but I don’t fry in my kitchen and these baked cake donuts are just as good. Whip them up on a weekend morning to score points with the whole family.
I love any excuse to break out my sprinkle collection and these could be really cute for Halloween this weekend.
If you don’t have buttermilk, which I often don’t, you can easily make some with this hack – to a measuring cup, add 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar then finish filling to 1 cup with milk. Let stand for 5-10 minutes to let milk curdle. Voila – buttermilk.
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2.5 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli baking chips)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and lightly spray a donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, all all of the dry ingredients.
- Add in the buttermilk, beaten eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a large zip top bag and snip the tip to easily pour into the donut pan. It will fill 12 donut wells evenly.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown.
- While they are cooling, to a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil and microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave another 30 seconds (as needed) and stir until smooth.
- Dip each cooled donut into the melted chocolate and immediately top with sprinkles.