Easy bourbon chicken made on the stovetop, in one pot, is sweet, sticky and perfect over a bed of rice. Like the mall but better!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
My crockpot bourbon chicken has been one of my most popular recipes for years. I also have a bourbon chicken with roasted potatoes recipe too, but as many (many, many) of you have pointed out over the years, neither of those actually have bourbon in them.
Bourbon chicken is named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans so many of this recipes don’t actually include bourbon as an ingredient, but this one does.
This easy bourbon chicken recipe is made on the stovetop and will be ready in just about 30 minutes. I love serving it over rice with a side of roasted zucchini, oven roasted green beans, or roasted carrots.
WHAT DOES BOURBON SAUCE HAVE IN IT?
Each cook and restaurant will have a slightly different recipe, but each generally has a sugar for sweetness, an acid (vinegar), and seasonings.
There are quite a few ingredients in this dish to make the sauce, but they’re everyday ingredients that you likely have in your pantry.
- Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can also use thighs, if that’s what you prefer.
- Corn Starch – Used both to bread the chicken and to make a slurry to thicken the sauce.
- Salt & pepper
- Oil – You can use vegetable oil, canola oil, or olive oil (my choice).
- Garlic – Fresh cloves or minced.
- Soy Sauce – I usually opt for low sodium soy sauce but regular works.
- Apple Juice – To help sweeten the sauce.
- Chicken Broth – To add flavor to the sauce.
- Ketchup – Another base of the sauce.
- Bourbon – With a smoky caramel flavor, bourbon adds to the sweet & savory sauce.
- Vinegar – White vinegar for balance in the sauce.
- Brown Sugar – To sweeten the sauce.
- Ground Ginger – Popular in stir-frys, it adds great flavor.
- Onion Powder – Onion flavor without having to dice onions. I’m in.
- Red Pepper Flakes – Optional, but adds a nice kick in contrast to the sweetness.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU
- Santoku Knife – A high quality knife makes cutting chicken so easy.
- Large Skillet – I’ve had this skillet for a few years & am happy with it.
- Tongs – I use tongs for everything in the kitchen and they are great for flipping chicken while it’s cooking.
HOW TO MAKE BOURBON CHICKEN
STEP ONE: To a large skillet, heat oil and add 1″ pieces of chicken. Cook for 3 minutes, flip, then cook another 3 minutes. If your skillet doesn’t fit all of the chicken at once, cook it in two batches. Remove the chicken and set aside.
STEP TWO: Add the garlic to the skillet and saute then add the water, soy sauce, apple juice, chicken broth, ketchup, bourbon, vinegar, brown sugar, ground ginger, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Stir and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
STEP THREE: Once boiling, reduce heat to low and add the chicken back to the sauce. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until sauce has reduced in half.
STEP FOUR: To thicken the sauce, make a slurry in a small bowl by adding 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to 1-2 tablespoons of water. Mix, then pour into the sauce.
Serve over white or brown rice.
DOES BOURBON CHICKEN HAVE ALCOHOL IN IN?
As I mentioned, this recipe does have actual bourbon in it. It cooks off as you’re reducing the sauce though so nobody is getting tipsy off the bourbon. It’s perfectly safe for kids.
WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE FOR BOURBON IN THIS CHICKEN?
If you’d rather not use bourbon (or just don’t have any on hand), you can replace it with more apple juice.
HOW TO STORE IT
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
NEED MORE EASY CHICKEN RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Air Fryer Sticky Chicken Thighs
Chicken & Broccoli
One Pan Chicken & Asparagus
Click to view my full collection of chicken recipes.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
I made a fun group on Facebook for sharing recipes, asking questions, and talking about food. I’d love to have you! Request to join HERE.
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION & EBOOK
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me @melissa_pplates and/or #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
This is perfect! Great combo of sweet/ spicy. My husband and I both loved it. The method for coating/cooking the chicken will be useful in about a million other things, so thanks for that! For the record, I used about 1 lb of chicken and adjusted the sauce to 3 servings, which gave me the best measurements to follow for the other ingredients and was just the right amount of sauce for us. If it helps anyone, .17 cups is just under 3 tablespoons. I used 3 tablespoons for anything that adjusted to that amount.
Melissa Williams says
So happy to hear that & yes – reviews like this are super helpful to others & make my day =)