Cheesy Asparagus Puffs are a quick appetizer or side dish. Fresh asparagus wrapped up with provolone and cheddar cheeses and baked in a crescent roll – easy, cheesy, and delicious!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Cheesy Asparagus Puffs would be perfect on the Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner table. Or, if it’s a regular weeknight, serve these cheesy asparagus puffs with meatloaf with brown gravy or stuffed chicken breasts.
In the land or retail, where holidays seem to move from Halloween to Christmas, Thanksgiving often gets the shaft. There’s no way I’m going to let Thanksgiving, quite possibly my favorite holiday, get skipped over. Any holiday that is food-centric is a favorite in my book.
These asparagus puffs make an easy appetizer on turkey day while you’re waiting for the rest of the food to cook.
CHEESY ASPARAGUS PUFFS INGREDIENTS
- Crescent Roll Dough – a can of crescent roll dough.
- Asparagus – fresh asparagus, washed & trimmed.
- Provolone Cheese – slices of provolone cheese.
- Cheddar Cheese – slices of cheddar cheese.
- Italian Seasoning – to sprinkle on the tops of the finished puffs. Italian seasoning is usually a mix of rosemary, oregano, thyme, and basil, if you don’t have the mix.
- Olive Oil – use a light, good quality olive oil.
HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS PUFFS
Making these asparagus puffs is so easy! It would be a great one for the kids to help with.
First, line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with non-stick spray.
Then, unroll your crescent roll dough and separate each triangle.
Next, lightly brush each triangle with olive oil and lay a half slice of provolone and a half slice of cheddar on the larger end of the triangle. Top with two asparagus spears and roll up.
Finally, bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Once down, remove from oven, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning while still warm.
The key to success with these Cheesy Asparagus Puffs is the cheese. You need real cheese. Good cheese.
We keep sliced cheese stocked at all times. One of Julia’s favorite snacks is cheese – she calls Provolone “circle cheese” and requests it daily.
If you watched my latest Facebook Live video, you saw how excited she was about our Sargento cheese delivery.
As much as she loves cheese, I have to make sure she’s only eating the best. She’s never had an “American single”. You know the one I’m talking about – the rubbery, plastic-ish, artificial, cheese imposter that’s only 51% real cheese. I’ll bet she’d hate it and quickly tell me.
Use a good quality cheese in these puffs so it melts nicely and tastes great.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE ASPARAGUS PUFFS:
- Baking Sheets – Having baking sheets with a lip is always nice, so things don’t slide off.
- Pastry Brush – To brush the olive oil on the dough. I feel like silicone are easier to clean.
- Santoku Knife – Having a good quality kitchen knife, even if are just slicing cheese, is really nice.
NEED MORE ASPARAGUS RECIPES IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Cheesy Asparagus Puffs
- 1 can crescent roll dough
- 16 spears fresh asparagus trimmed
- 4 slices provolone cheese sliced in half
- 4 slices cheddar cheese sliced in half
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Lightly spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Unroll the crescent roll dough and separate each triangle.
- Lightly brush each triangle with olive oil then lay a half slice of Provolone cheese and a half slice of cheddar on the large side of the triangle. Top with two asparagus spears, roll-up, then lay on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat for the remaining triangles.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once done, remove from oven, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
Originally published October 20, 2016