Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies are so good! If you’re a peanut butter + chocolate lover like me, you’ll love the layer of brownie, swirl of peanut butter, and then a peanut butter frosting. Easy, from scratch, and perfect for a craving!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Desserts
I haven’t added to my chocolate + peanut butter collection in awhile, but there was a time that that was nearly all I posted. There were peanut butter balls, chocolate peanut butter eclair dessert, chocolate peanut butter buckeye cookies, peanut butter chocolate chip cookies…and many more.
I’m pretty sure brownie tops my list of favorite dessert and adding a peanut butter swirl makes them even better.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
These brownies are made with everyday ingredients. The only thing you might not have on hand are the peanut butter chips but any market (or even Target) should have them in the baking aisle, usually right next to the chocolate chips.
For the brownies:
- Butter – I use salted.
- Sugar – granulated white sugar.
- Eggs – two large eggs.
- Vanilla Extract – I know vanilla is pricey is expensive right now, but opt for real vanilla if you can. Imitation isn’t the same. I buy it in bulk at Sam’s or Costco or you can make your own.
- Cocoa Powder – unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Flour – all purpose white flour.
- Salt Baking Powder – for lift.
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Peanut Butter – I use creamy. Crunchy would switch up the texture if that’s what you’re into.
- Chocolate Chips – optional, but encouraged.
For the peanut butter frosting:
To make the peanut butter frosting, you’ll need: sugar, milk, shortening, butter, salt, vanilla, and peanut butter. I don’t always have shortening on hand, if you don’t either, you can use all butter.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU:
- Mixing Bowls – my favorite with the grippy bottom.
- Silicone Spatulas – I have far too many but they always come in handy!
- Hand Mixer – I use my hand mixer way more than my stand mixer.
- 8×8 Baking Dish – I love that this one comes with a lid for storing leftovers.
HOW TO MAKE THEM
STEP ONE: Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Then add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
STEP TWO: In another mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder. Beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture until combined. Then stir in the peanut butter chips.
STEP THREE: Pour the batter into a greased 8×8 baking dish. Microwave the peanut butter to thin in then pour it over the batter and use a butter knife or skewer to gently swirl. Bake for 25 minutes at 350. Allow to cool while you’re making the frosting.
STEP FOUR: Make the frosting by combining the sugar, milk, butter, shortening, and salt to a saucepan and heating to a boil. Allow to boil for 2-3 minutes untouched. Remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla.
STEP FIVE: Pour the frosting over the cooled brownies and scatter remaining chocolate chips over the top. Once they get melty, gently swirl them into the frosting with a butter knife or skewer. Let set for about 2 hours before slicing & serving!
MORE PEANUT BUTTER + CHOCOLATE RECIPES:
MORE BROWNIE RECIPES
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!